Surprised

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
No one posted about the 75th anniversary of Pearl unless I completely missed it. Seems the day that will live in infamy is being forgotten by our youth.
Had an uncle that was assigned to the USS Nevada that morning.

Thought about it this morning while hauling my bull to the sale. Got him unloaded and was leaving when I noticed a low flying plane banking and flying over. First thought was a crop duster but as it banked I noticed the marking on the wings... it was a close replica of a Japanese Zero. Then I realized it was part of the VFW re-enactment. Quire a moment of reflection for me.

My 12 year old daughter woke up really congested and coughing this morning. She was just getting over Strep throat so we decided she needed to go back to Dr. During examination the Dr asked her "What is special about today?". Emily piped right out, "The Attack on Pearl Harbor". He pleasantly was surprised she knew.

1982vett":16gz43zj said:
Thought about it this morning while hauling my bull to the sale. Got him unloaded and was leaving when I noticed a low flying plane banking and flying over. First thought was a crop duster but as it banked I noticed the marking on the wings... it was a close replica of a Japanese Zero. Then I realized it was part of the VFW re-enactment. Quire a moment of reflection for me.

Might have been from the Confederate Air Force out of Galveston they have quite a few restored WWII aircraft.
Have a friend I used to work with that volunteered a lot over there he would routinely fly a B-17 over the refinery.

I think it's because other then you CB, not many on these boards were active during WWII

I didn't post about the day on here but certainly have thought about it.
I have seen a fair amount about it on TV and newspaper.
On the other hand I do think a lot more needs to be done to educate the younger people about WWII. Not only how it started for USA but how it affected not only the folks in the military who fought that war but also what it was like on the home front.

That war was a terrible thing but I think it did unite the country in a way that I have not seen since.
What will it take to restore such unity in this day and age?

I thought about it yesterday. I can't think of anyone I knew who was there during the attack but I knew several who were already in the military that day. Virtually all the men I grew up around fought in WWII. They covered all the services and both theaters.

Dave":3r0baaqz said:
I thought about it yesterday. I can't think of anyone I knew who was there during the attack but I knew several who were already in the military that day. Virtually all the men I grew up around fought in WWII. They covered all the services and both theaters.

We have one WWII vet left at church was a frogman set the charges in the reef off Okinawa for the landing craft to go through.
Back in 02 when dad died I read somewhere we were losing our WWII vets at 1500 a day then.

Caustic Burno":2rmr0bxb said:
Dave":2rmr0bxb said:

We have one WWII vet left at church was a frogman set the charges in the reef off Okinawa for the landing craft to go through.
Back in 02 when dad died I read somewhere we were losing our WWII vets at 1500 a day then.

The majority of the WWII vets I knew were still with us 10 years ago. Now those men are all gone.

Dave":9tjjz4c3 said:
Caustic Burno":9tjjz4c3 said:
Dave":9tjjz4c3 said:

The majority of the WWII vets I knew were still with us 10 years ago. Now those men are all gone.

:nod: :nod: Same here. :(

Lots of postings about it on Facebook.

On Memorial day every year, I used to get a paper Poppy, for a buck, from a couple of local older Veterans who would set up a table at the local grocery. The last Poppy I purchased was sometime around 2007 or 8. I haven't seen them since. :( But I am not surprised, as they were quite elderly, and not getting any younger as the years passed.

I remember when I was younger, all over town there would be these little tables set up with the paper Poppies and the Vets. As the years rolled on, they became less and less.

I'm sure most young people do not know the significance of the paper Poppies.

I keep a Buddy Poppy stuck under my sun visor year round. Get a new one every year. Have had one there as long as I can remember. As much as I appreciate what our fighting men did, what the folks back at home did is almost as amazing the way they turned everything about our country around from a normal retail economy to producing war materials almost overnight. They too made a lot of sacrifices.

Latest posts