SURPRISE!

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
This is Levanna:

Copy_of_Goats_054.jpg

She is a registered angora show doe. I bought her last year, showed her, then bred her. Well, she didnt breed. I contacted the breeder and he said to give her another year, if she still didnt breed he would give me another doe. Well, she didnt breed this year either.

Except - tonight - I went out and discovered this!

P8110062.JPG

P8110057.JPG

P8110059.JPG

Its so lucky, this doe was going to go in my freezer last week, except that my ute broke down. Can you imagine if I'd slaughtered a perfectly fine breeding doe? And her doe kid, due in a couple of days? Ugh, it makes me sick just thinking about it.

But I'm :banana: doin a happy dance because

a) my infertile doe is not longer infertile, and she can stay
b) my infertile buck has managed to breed 2/3 of the does he was with this year
c) its another doe kid! so I've got 3 doe kids from the infertile buck. and overall we've had 8 doe kids and 2 buck kids. YEAH!

Keren":1trtrokc said:
well she often acts like she has a stick up her arse ...

Must be all that "blue" blood. I'm sure glad you didn't butcher her. If you had found that baby in her it would have tore you up pretty bad.

Good luck with the new KID on the block.

Wow and what a cutie,you would have hated yourself-love the jacket.Have you ever used an infrared light for warming-very effective.
Good luck with the new kid on the block.

3waycross":197e50xb said:
I'm sure glad you didn't butcher her. If you had found that baby in her it would have tore you up pretty bad.

oh boy, I dont know what I would have done

alisonb":197e50xb said:
Have you ever used an infrared light for warming-very effective.

I dont like using heat lamps - too scared they will cause a fire. Fortunately, our weather isnt very extreme - I'm kidding pretty early this year, but they only have those coats on for the first night, after that they are fine. Plus this girl was born at night.

Lucky,lucky you-100 times lucky Levanna!! :banana: I'm so glad your truck broke down! :lol2: Didn't seem so lucky at the time,but look how wonderful it all worked out. :D Is there any way to tell if a goat is preggers beside the wait and see method?

Keren":210h4wcp said:
This is Levanna:

Copy_of_Goats_054.jpg

She is a registered angora show doe. I bought her last year, showed her, then bred her. Well, she didnt breed. I contacted the breeder and he said to give her another year, if she still didnt breed he would give me another doe. Well, she didnt breed this year either.

Except - tonight - I went out and discovered this!

P8110062.JPG

P8110057.JPG

P8110059.JPG

Its so lucky, this doe was going to go in my freezer last week, except that my ute broke down. Can you imagine if I'd slaughtered a perfectly fine breeding doe? And her doe kid, due in a couple of days? Ugh, it makes me sick just thinking about it.

But I'm :banana: doin a happy dance because

a) my infertile doe is not longer infertile, and she can stay
b) my infertile buck has managed to breed 2/3 of the does he was with this year
c) its another doe kid! so I've got 3 doe kids from the infertile buck. and overall we've had 8 doe kids and 2 buck kids. YEAH!

That is just too precious!

peg4x4":3ghhomo8 said:
Lucky,lucky you-100 times lucky Levanna!! :banana: I'm so glad your truck broke down! :lol2: Didn't seem so lucky at the time,but look how wonderful it all worked out. :D Is there any way to tell if a goat is preggers beside the wait and see method?

there certainly is. You can draw blood (popular in US, not so much here. I've never done it). You can ultrasound (I do this myself quite often, but she is one that slipped by me - she was inconclusive on the scan. it happens). You can watch for springing udders and loosening vulvas just like you do with cattle - being an angora and very hairy its harder to monitor her udder - about 1 mth ago I caught them all, flipped them over to look at the udders, and she had NO sign of springing, whatsoever. She caught me by surprise lol

But you know, the morning of the same day that she kidded, I looked at her across the paddock and thought, she's getting big in the belly, I'd better catch her and check her udder before I eat her lol

Latest posts