Surprise!! With pics - new arabian filly

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Wasn't supposed to happen this way, but I'll take her. If I calculated right, the stallion that bred her was 16 months old at breeding time - he was in with the mare because I didn't think he was that "mature": Wrong! So in November, out pops this cute filly that looks a lot like her mom. The mom was a virgin mare, that I've had since she was born. She let me snuggle up with both of them during birth, then I gave them time to bond. Haven't figured out a name for her yet, but there was a full moon at the time. Well at least the filly is fullblooded and can be registered.

amanisfilly1.jpg

amanisfilly2.jpg

amanisfilly3.jpg

she appears to like calves
amanisfilly4.jpg

amanisfilly6.jpg

amanisfilly5.jpg

She's lovely!! A perfect surprise!

I miss having foals, but the horse prices are just too much in the crapper for me to raise any more. I can't keep feeding all of them (well I WILL but I don't need to be feeding any MORE of them!) as I have 11 now.

I have a very good QH stallion, full brother to a reserve World Champion, and some very well-bred mares but just don't want to add to the economy woes with more horses on the market. So... they will sit here and get old, and probably die here and be buried. Also, my stallion is HYPP single positive but non-symptomatic. The AQHA is trying to do away with that genetic defect so I will do my part and it ends here. My husband will tell me now and then to SELL some of them but I'll be danged if I'm going to give them away, and I tell HIM that I don't work so hard out in the hayfield to ONLY feed the cows. So.... ;-)

anyway, Cypress... Congrats on the new baby!!! and thanks for sharing :D

That's how I got "Jessi" Owner put his show mare out with 3 colts 'cause "they wern't old enough to do nuttin"
Ha~Don't ever trust a male of any age!! :lol2: Lovely,lovely filly. :heart: Cute ears! What's the bloodline?
Might ask for suggestions on here as to names.. What's mom&dads names?

peg4x4":1f4cs0qm said:
What's the bloodline?
Might ask for suggestions on here as to names.. What's mom&dads names?

Not sure how "up" you are with Arabians, but she's over 3/4 Egyptian (with a little Spanish blood) - Ansata Ibn Halima and Sherif in her blood. She can be traced back to two 1832 desert bred horses. Really good bloodlines; enough so to keep her for me. I like a little Spanish blood because it gives them more mass. Moma is 16 hands, rare for an Arabian.

Her name will have to be something "Arabian". Moma is Amani, young dad is Imseti.

I was thinking Annabell,but that's not too Arabian. Long time ago I had an Egyptian Arab, MonaeEl Nafouse(sorry about the mangeling) breeding. He was off BentWood Farms,out of Waco. Found his grandmother in a book,he looked exatly like her. Must have been a great dissapointment. This was when the Arab horse "bubble"
burst. He was a 15h brown gelding,no ammount of Showsheen would have gotten him noticed in the ring. I goe him from someone who decided he wasn't fast enough for barrels(duh!)

peg4x4":2va88gzc said:
I was thinking Annabell,but that's not too Arabian. Long time ago I had an Egyptian Arab, MonaeEl Nafouse(sorry about the mangeling) breeding. He was off BentWood Farms,out of Waco. Found his grandmother in a book,he looked exatly like her. Must have been a great dissapointment. This was when the Arab horse "bubble"
burst. He was a 15h brown gelding,no ammount of Showsheen would have gotten him noticed in the ring. I goe him from someone who decided he wasn't fast enough for barrels(duh!)

Hey Peg, the grandmother you refer to was Moniet El Nefous (1946) chestnut that is actually in this filly's breeding as well. Moniet was a very pretty horse (I've only seen pictures, ofcourse), and had Ibn Moniet El Nefous - a very famous big time money stallion. Most people around here only want quarter horses, so it's funny to hear your barrel comment. Although I've seen some quarab's (quarter x arab) out perform quarter horses and look great doing it ;-) I got into Arabians long after the "bubble" burst. I just like the look of them and the ancient history that goes along. Ofcourse my paint would argue that he's better than any arab.

Yeah,that was his sire~~ Very nice horse,just not a good reference for his daddy. I called him "Moca" cause of his coloring.. If she's got as much sense as Moca had,she'll be a very level headed young lady.. See,I got home from work,Moca wasn't at the gate,but I could hear him calling! I grabbed wirecutters and a hammer,didn't know what 'd find. Well,he had 3 legs up to his body in an old woven wire fence,wasn't hurt but by droppings and the way the ground was he'd been there for hours! He was halter broke,and good to handle~but~ So I started cutting wires-I had to crawl under him to get some wires. Anyhow,I cut a leg free,move it out of the way and go to work on another. He stood like a wooden horse,breathing down my neck when I was in front..At last I got all the wire,but he still stood there. So I shoved him,telling im Ok,you're free--------- He exploded,running bucking kicking--Then he came to me,rested his forehead on my chest,gave a big sigh,then went to grazeing..

Peg,

That's defintely a trait of Arabians (and Egyptians even more so) - they are extremely smart and loyal. Some say that they are too hot, but I've never had any problems. Ofcourse I stay with the old proven bloodlines, and I'm sure that makes a difference. Some of the same people that say bad things about arabs try to "break" them. That's not gonna happen with an Arabian; once the horse understands and accepts what you want it to do, they will follow you through hell. Moca sounds like he was very smart.

I found that with Arabs you "ask" With a QH you "tell" them. Most Arabians will fight you if they think you're being unfair. I do love the breed,the good sensiable ones.
She's such a beauty--Do you have a photo of the stallion? What color is he?

peg4x4":39xjvqj8 said:
I found that with Arabs you "ask" With a QH you "tell" them. Most Arabians will fight you if they think you're being unfair. I do love the breed,the good sensiable ones.
She's such a beauty--Do you have a photo of the stallion? What color is he?

I'll take a new pic of him - the stallion - this weekend. He's going to be gray eventually, maybe fleabitten. Now he's a roan/brown color. He's in a growth spurt and looks nice, but I don't like his head; it's not dished at all, almost coarse looking. Arabians always seem to change more than other horses, but they always seem to come back to how they looked as a foal. He looked fairly nice as a foal.

We've decided to name the filly Aliyah. I'm with you on asking Arabians instead of telling them. I have to be mindful of this with my own horses. My paint needs to be told and even fussed at sometimes. Scolding an Arabian will not work.

This is a pic of the filly's moma as a three year old. Took me forever to catch her in stride:
amanirunningedit.jpg

ok,I looked up El monet whatever--NOT Moca's sire (sorry,long time ago) Moca's sire was bay/brown,was one of Bentwoods stallions,but I can't find his name.. Anyhow,you have a very beautyfull filly there..

aussie_cowgirl":219o49jp said:
FYI,
Badra - Full moon
Badriyah, Badriyyah, Badriya - Resembling the full moon
Budur - Full moons
Qamar - Full moon

more here
http://www.sudairy.com/arabic/fem.html

Thanks for the suggestions, I actually wanted to name her Badra or bint badra, but my two girls "hated" the name - I gave in and we all like Aliyah...

cypressfarms":1cgyrlp3 said:
aussie_cowgirl":1cgyrlp3 said:
FYI,
Badra - Full moon
Badriyah, Badriyyah, Badriya - Resembling the full moon
Budur - Full moons
Qamar - Full moon

more here
http://www.sudairy.com/arabic/fem.html

Thanks for the suggestions, I actually wanted to name her Badra or bint badra, but my two girls "hated" the name - I gave in and we all like Aliyah...

Haha lucky. When I was a kid I would have been adamant on Rainbow or something lol. Thankfully I turned into a tom boy. Recently though I have been having a lot to do with harness racers and horses in general through uni so I'm getting back into them and actually I've found my years of cattle handling pretty useful in general handling. Learning to ride next year and maybe towards the end of uni I'll adopt a pacer/trotter. Love their personalities, even if they aren't very pretty. :lol2:

what, no goats?

she looks like a Luna to me.

List of lunar deities
[edit] Ancient Near East

* Hilal (Arabian mythology)
* Hubal (Arabian mythology)
* Illat (Arabian mythology)
* Ta'lab (Arabian mythology)
* Wadd (Arabian mythology)
* Jarih (Canaanite mythology)
* Nikkal (Canaanite mythology)
* Napir (Elamite mythology)