surprise surprise

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Well in watching the first time heifers last night I noticed that one of my COWS that I bought last year was nursing on another. She is due in less than two months so I am not going to ship her off but was wondering all along this year why the calf on the cow being nursed looked so bad when in year past she had the best and fastest growing calf of all!!! So my question is I know this happens alot and was wondering what youall do if in my position. I have looked into the nose rings with spikes but have never used a nose ring before and am not sure how to put it on. I am talking the one that goes threw the nose. I don't want to do it again. I will be keeping her until she calves and make a decision on weather to keep her or not. She is an awsome cow confermation wise and temperment. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Double R

The nose blab works with some and not with others. I never had enough succes with them to try them more then a couple of times. Seperate out the cow that is nursing, ship her either now or as soon as she calves. If she's doing it at this age you aren;t ever going to break her of it.

dun":32cji6lm said:
The nose blab works with some and not with others. I never had enough succes with them to try them more then a couple of times. Seperate out the cow that is nursing, ship her either now or as soon as she calves. If she's doing it at this age you aren;t ever going to break her of it.
Thanks, Dun, thats kindof what I thought. I figure this is her second strike so she is out. Well hearing that those things don't work well sometimes doesn't surprise me. I will skip the ring then and just plan on selling her as a pair. Would get rid of her now but I have a lot invested in her calf so I will just not breed her back (which a horrible cervix is her first strike) and ship her or sell the pair depending on the calf.
Thanks for the help!
Double R

If you really like the cow (genetics, conformation etc) then I would seperate her, wait till she calves, and if its a heifer calf either foster it onto a nurse cow or another cow that can handle twins, or bottle raise it. That way you will have her genetics in your herd, just watch that she doesnt follow mum's track and keep sucking. I dont know whether you are a seedstock operation or not, but if so you might also consider doing this if its a bull calf. If not, decide which sells for more in your area (heavy pregnant cows or pairs or three in ones) and sell her.

Latest posts