Surprise diagnosis- FINALLY!

Help Support CattleToday:

My vet told me low selenium is a problem in our area. I get the se blocks , don't know if they have a loose min around here with high SE :cowboy:

gonzo":2en5ugpz said:
My vet told me low selenium is a problem in our area. I get the se blocks , don't know if they have a loose min around here with high SE :cowboy:
Gonzo they should. Keep looking or talk to your vet about boluses. I have been told that "they can not lick a block enough, to get the proper amounts needed."

How did this develop? Obviously you needed the Selenium, but why wouldn't your mineral mix have it?

Minerals scare me, or I should say the balance of minerals scare me.

What battery of blood test and how often should one do for beef to check for mineral balance? What minerals should show, and to what measure?

I hope everything works out well for you.....

HD, let me start by saying that my cattle have Wind and Rain loose minerals under cover in their loafing shed along with very high quality pasture for most of the year, then some high quality hay in the dead of winter. Grass and hay does not store Selenium.

Up until a few years ago, I gave Muse injections 2x per year. But Muse only lasts in their system for 30-60 days. Thinking that I was ok, I stopped giving it to the older cows and cut back to just giving it to the newborns.
My cattle never had the typical signs of Se deficiency in older cattle. No retained placentas, no fertility issues, ect.
What they did develop, (one at a time) was lameness, in coordination, and weakness in the back legs. I would pen up the affected cow, examine feet, treat with Aspirin or Dex for an injury.
I lost a cow two years ago that progressed to recumbency, and died. She had blood work done, but the vet did not check a Se level.
This last young cow, (in addition to the above lameness and weakness) would "duck walk" and collapse in the rear legs when she tried to hurry somewhere. She is the one that I did a battery of tests on, because I wanted (and had) to know what was going on! This was over a period of a year.
Mean while, another older cow came up lame in a rear leg. Again, suspected an injury. But it seemed to switch legs........Hmmmmm something weird is going on!
The rest of the story is told in the beginning of the thread.

Yes, your vet can send blood samples to check the status of their mineral levels.

I agree with loose minerals "being scary". Obviously without periodic testing of a sample group of your cattle, you have no idea if they are consuming the proper amount.

The point that I am trying to stress is, mineral deficiencies can exist despite your supplementation.
And Se deficiency can present itself in older cattle as weakness, foot lameness, injuries of legs hip and back, and even neurological symptoms. It Is possible to be obvious in only ONE cow at a time.
(Not to mention in the cardinal signs of retained placentas and low conception rates.)

The thread asking about "Mineral testing" brought me back to update this thread.
Since the severe Selenium deficiency in my cattle was discovered, we have taken many steps to correct it. They all have gotten slow release boluses of Selenium and Copper. To be repeated yearly. Muse injections, (which are now going to be substituted for Multimin) every 6 months. And high Selenium mineral, which they are consuming.
Follow-up blood work shows an increase in their levels, but still on the low side of normal. All symptoms of lameness, paralysis, and neurological have disappeared. However the poor girl that suffered for so long has a bit of muscle damage. But she is healthy and heavy bred! We are hoping that the deficiencies early in pregnancy have not caused any harm to the calf.

Another bit of information that I have uncovered is that Selenium is not passed in the milk to the newborn calf. They have to be born with a good level and must start consuming it in their minerals pretty quickly. That further justifies the practice of giving Muse or Bose at birth when you are in a deficient region.

Good information BrangusCowgirl!! I too have had trouble getting my cattle to consume very much loose mineral, but haven't seen any problems.

Glad it was helpful for you GB.
As Milk Maid had stated, "think of the ice berg affect." Some animals will naturally be affected more than others. I look back at ones that I have culled or lost, and am very disappointed in myself for not figuring it out sooner.

BTW- in a truly "Selenium deficient area", my vet has said that you can not depend on the loose minerals only. They need to get it from several sources. As with adding the Boluses and injections also.