surge milker question

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong

Reaction score
i have a Babson brothers surge milker, and am a little uncertain on how many inches of vacuum that would be ideal for milking one milking short horn,
It takes forever to get her to let her milk go so i can get her milked properly.
(note, i pull the calf a couple of hours before milking, her bag is always full and at least 3 quarters are hard and needing milking, i usually end up with at least a gal ++ per milking twice a day, but it takes forever)

thanks

The cow may not want to let her milk down for you. She likely wants calves to be sucking her and not that darned machine :lol: . My system runs at 13.5 inches.

Hopalong,
I try to use between 12-14" vacuum while using a Universal brand bucket milker.

As far as sharemilking with the calf. I found through lots of trial and error that it was best for me to to milk the cow after she was separated from the calf for about 12 hours. After I milked her out I then turned the calf loose. It takes a few days before she gets used to letting down for you. Sometimes she gets spoiled and is too good of a mama to share with you. She's waiting for the calf to get his......

Thanks to all those that responded with information.

I lowered my inches of vacuum to 13-14 from 17 to 18 and bingo more milk faster and she was more content while being milked, the guy I had bought the milking machine and vacuum pump said that it was set up and he used it daily so i took his word everything was ok, I guess it is possible something happened in transport.Any way thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts