Surface for corral

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Building a corral, what would be the best surface material to use that provides good footing for cattle without muddy mess of dirt.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thinking of using a geotextile fabric and topping with crushed limestone, will it pack well and drain when it rains?

dun

Reaction score
Deerwood Farms":2b7vngny said:
Thinking of using a geotextile fabric and topping with crushed limestone, will it pack well and drain when it rains?
Yes but it will get a little mushy on the surface until the water runs off. Once packed the water doesn;t percolate through it very well. I use limestone road base, ti's cheaper then straight crushed limestone aorund here. I also use it in barns.

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Years ago we put some washout from the concrete plant done, did ok for a while. Last year we put a very coarse lime down, they call it manufactured sand. It faired thru the winter really good. May need to top dress it a little before the next winter. The stuff is cheap here, about $3.00 a ton. The haul bill is about as much as the product.

OP
D
Reaction score
dun":2okdyan6 said:
Deerwood Farms":2okdyan6 said:
Yes but it will get a little mushy on the surface until the water runs off. Once packed the water doesn;t percolate through it very well. I use limestone road base, ti's cheaper then straight crushed limestone aorund here. I also use it in barns.

Does that road base pack pretty good or is it kind of like gravel?

OP
D
Reaction score
Deerwood Farms":1s3jtqs1 said:
dun":1s3jtqs1 said:
Deerwood Farms":1s3jtqs1 said:
Yes but it will get a little mushy on the surface until the water runs off. Once packed the water doesn;t percolate through it very well. I use limestone road base, ti's cheaper then straight crushed limestone aorund here. I also use it in barns.[/quo

dun

Reaction score
Deerwood Farms":2lfybtgv said:
dun":2lfybtgv said:
Deerwood Farms":2lfybtgv said:

Does that road base pack pretty good or is it kind of like gravel?
It;s about 95% medium sized sandstone with about 5% stuff about the size of a pea.

greybeard

Reaction score
How well does iron ore work in a cowpen? (It's the most commonly available 'gravel' in this area--used on all the county roads and on my driveway)