Sure are pretty

Help Support CattleToday:

Dogs and Cows":1cjt1w9x said:
NICE...Waco...I am curious...I am currently running an Angus bull over my Hereford ladies. I also have a couple black baldies in the herd. The black cows and bull are really suffering in the heat...much more so than the Herefords. It is like night and day how they are handling the weather. I was thinking about switching over to a Brangus bull my next go around...so my question...are the black Brangus cows/bulls much more heat tolerant than straight Angus??? Thanks!!

Tim
Quite a bit yes. Also those Brangus-baldies make a heck of a mama cow.

skeeter swatter":189ebl1w said:
Dogs and Cows":189ebl1w said:
NICE...Waco...I am curious...I am currently running an Angus bull over my Hereford ladies. I also have a couple black baldies in the herd. The black cows and bull are really suffering in the heat...much more so than the Herefords. It is like night and day how they are handling the weather. I was thinking about switching over to a Brangus bull my next go around...so my question...are the black Brangus cows/bulls much more heat tolerant than straight Angus??? Thanks!!

Tim
Quite a bit yes. Also those Brangus-baldies make a heck of a mama cow.

+1

There are many breeds (all of which are not black) that are more heat tolerant than a BLACK angus.

The best solid black animal for heat tolerance I've ever seen is a Mashona.

Dogs and Cows":3ll5bai7 said:
Yea, I'm aware of Mashona, but I am looking for something that is a little bigger to help calves mash the scales at the local sale barn. And I need black as that is the only thing that sells well in my area. Thanks!

Tim, my black Simmentals do fine here but I have some deep hollers with heavy shade.

Latest posts