SUPPORTING YOUR LOCAL FEED STORE

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Finally we got a "local" feed store. I have been dealing with CO-OP since they are the only deal in town. They have done a fair job and have some people who know a great deal but I prefer the get to know you one on one type folks. The new store that just went in is actually cheaper on some items than CO-OP. I was surprised because I figured that the bigger stores had more buying power. This store grinds and mixes their own feed so I guess this helps. They carry all kinds of needfull things including garden plants. I like the old style ambience where you can go in, browse, shoot the breeze over coffee and not feel like you are intruding or holding up the line. Interesting owners also. I really like the community feel as it is located in the heart of my very small community.

I agree, support the local feedstore. I've found that they'll go the extra mile to help you get what your lookin for in feed. last year when our daughter started with her pen of commercial heifers for the fair.....the bagged feed was just killin us price wise. and after reading the tags, and talkin to them at the feed store, discovered the reason the heifers wouldnt touch the hay that was in their pasture......stuff is mostly filler, therefore they were gettin their fill of ruffage from the bagged feed. So they worked with me and I get a ton of feed now for 149.00 in 50 lb sacks. Special mixture, without all the fillers.
coop wanted 230.00 per ton and a 8 ton minimum.

HOSS":3cv7xwe4 said:
Finally we got a "local" feed store. I have been dealing with CO-OP since they are the only deal in town. They have done a fair job and have some people who know a great deal but I prefer the get to know you one on one type folks. The new store that just went in is actually cheaper on some items than CO-OP. I was surprised because I figured that the bigger stores had more buying power. This store grinds and mixes their own feed so I guess this helps. They carry all kinds of needfull things including garden plants. I like the old style ambience where you can go in, browse, shoot the breeze over coffee and not feel like you are intruding or holding up the line. Interesting owners also. I really like the community feel as it is located in the heart of my very small community.

Our local coop is more like the Local feed store you described. Guess I never thought of our Coop as a big company like a Tractor Supply Store. Our local feed store does not mix feed, I do buy as much as I can from them (since I clean them and like to give back to the businesses that support me) but buy bulk and special mixes from coop.

Kind of weird here:

My dad retired from managing the local Co-op in 2003, so I have some history with the place. The next manager came in and raised the prices on everything.

I checked the local feed mill out, and they are much cheaper on most items. So now I buy certain items at one place, and certain items at the other. The way, I see it, I gotta save as much as I can. Funny, though, when I go to the Co-op and they ask me "Don't you need any _____, you haven't bought any in a while". Nope, don't need any now. The feed mill's staff, on the other hand, are extremely helpful and even deliver to my place. They take nothing for granted, and thank me after every purchase.

Some times it's good to shop around a bit.

A good local feedstore is a blessing. We've got one...owned by two brothers that are good cattlemen and extremely helpful to everyone. They never talk down to their customers...little operators and big guys get treated with the same respect. You get the impression that they would walk through H*** in a gasoline suit to help folks. Their employees reflect the good attitude of the owners. That's a formula for success. I'll pay a little more for some items on occasion because it's worth it to me.

Latest posts