Supporting local businesses

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am pulling away from supporting my local businesses and really hate to do so. I went to a local junk yard for a part I need that I seen they had online. I had gotten quotes of the same part shipped to my shop 400.00. The local business wanted 600.00 I took my quote and such to show local business and told him I'd rather buy from you if you match this price he told me no and said stop being cheap and support your local businesses. I told him I tried but the local businesses here only want to take the locals for a ride. I said I was being fair by giving you the opportunity to do business and said don't worry that won't happen again and walked out.

I wouldn't stop supporting local businesses because of that, but I would stop supporting that particular local business.

Rafter S":10gc5bpd said:
I wouldn't stop supporting local businesses because of that, but I would stop supporting that particular local business.
Yup! But in my view there are national chains that are still community business. While lowes may be national, the local store is still one of the largest employers in the area. They also are involved in the community by supporting NRCS, FFA, 4H, Conservation Department, etc. Even the local walmart supports the community. Tracker marine has a large plant here but they don;t participate in any of the local events.

I agree but increasingly the local businesses think because they are local we should open our wallets for them to take it all. I stop using there stores there's a local hardware store higher than anyone that I use because he has knowledge of old stuff and what is needed for repairs or maintenance and I'll pay his high prices cause of his helpful information and customer service.

Same way around here a lot of the mom and pops are way to expensive. I don't mind paying a lil more but not 50, 100 or 200 more.

I bought a wrench at a local hardware store and it cost me $29. A week or so later I stopped by ASC in another town and the same wrench was $19. I think that's the last thing I ever bought in that store. We have another hardware store I frequent. Its more pricey than the big chains but there is a wealth of knowledge in this store and they will help you solve problems and offer solutions. This is the kind of stuff you can't get at a big box store.

We have plenty of experience on both sides of this issue. You should never assume that your local shop pays the same as the big stores. As dealers for the best American made fence chargers, our dealer price is about $5.00 more than what you or I can buy the same thing for online. My added value comes from experience and willingness to help, but it's still an uphill battle. We have products that we are able to buy cheaper than anyone else, but we'd still never sabotage the market like that. I feel your pain, and I'm sure that there are a few local crooks out there....but for the most part, folks are just trying to make their way. If you spend your dollars in town, they'll get spent again in town.
For the record, I still build fence 300 days a year so we can survive (and I like it). It ain't always what it seems......

They call is buying power. Mom and pop don't have it like the big box stores because the big guys basically tell manufacturers what they will pay if they want their product on the shelves.

Farm Fence Solutions":s1nzbi45 said:
For the record, I still build fence 300 days a year so we can survive (and I like it). It ain't always what it seems......

Shyt farm...I thought you was full time...... ;-)

Used to be a sign in the local hardware store.
Trip to home depot. 50 miles and a hour and a half
Trip to florence hardware priceless.....that was before they closed down.

Part of what you're paying for when you buy local is not having an eyesore Main St, bad schools, opioid and meth addiction, etc. I try to buy local when I can but agree it's hard when there's a BIG price difference.

we have a thriving "small" local town with a ton of small independent businesses.

meth heads are still here galore.. i see them in the paper everyday almost. dead.

I don't really need much but most of the stuff I do buy is cattle related and I have to go out of state to buy it. Here its 15.00 / post and I can get them across the line for 10.00 right now. 250/bundle saved is a awful lot of money to me. Hauling home 4 bundles and an extra grand in my pocket makes it worth the drive/time.

farm fence.. any good fence post suppliers around you?? whats their prices on 5-6"

I thought Farm Fence Solutions was located somewhere across the big pond--no?

That would be a long way for you to go to save a couple $$ on posts...

greybeard":3r4bxnn2 said:
I thought Farm Fence Solutions was located somewhere across the big pond--no?

That would be a long way for you to go to save a couple $$ on posts...

i thought he was in indiana :bang:

ddd75":2iik2k9s said:
we have a thriving "small" local town with a ton of small independent businesses.

meth heads are still here galore.. i see them in the paper everyday almost. dead.

I don't really need much but most of the stuff I do buy is cattle related and I have to go out of state to buy it. Here its 15.00 / post and I can get them across the line for 10.00 right now. 250/bundle saved is a awful lot of money to me. Hauling home 4 bundles and an extra grand in my pocket makes it worth the drive/time.

farm fence.. any good fence post suppliers around you?? whats their prices on 5-6"

What kind of post doyou buy that cost so much??

ddd75":2inl3vq3 said:

I might know a guy. lol Where in KY are you?

TexasBred":2udbi9gc said:
ddd75":2udbi9gc said:

What kind of post doyou buy that cost so much??

5-6" treated wood posts. They were like 8/ea. last june and then around july or so they jumped to 10.05/each.

Farm Fence Solutions":2udbi9gc said:
ddd75":2udbi9gc said:

I might know a guy. lol Where in KY are you?

I'm in montgomery county.

Farm Fence Solutions":2udbi9gc said:
I'm in SW Indiana.

ah ha ! :banana:

Latest posts