Supplimental feed vs none

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef Man":feph4igc said:
The very idea of feeding cows on grass orinate's with some of these feed companies and the idea of some owners that if my neighbor does it so should I. Sort of like keeping up with the Jones's. The main thing that a cow is is a roughage harvester She or he is in existence to convert a product[grass,straw,silage,potato waste etc.] into something we as humans can use . It surely does defeat the purpose of the bovines in our life if we have to supplement them .All of this said,we live in the extreme northern part of the U.S. and we do have to feed hay or something more than a lot of the country.When it snows under and very extreme cold extra feed is necessary. A nasty expensive thing but thats the way it is. We do make them earn their liveing as long as possible. One other thing is we are raiseing a different type of cattle than was here 50 years ago. A lot of the continental cattle came to us as barn raised and were never forced to work for their liveing and so they did and do need extra care. Nuf said ,I guess!

Cattle were designed that way but they were also "free range" and could follow the higher quality and more plentiful grazing. A little money to put something of value in her gut is often a little money well spent especially if the grazing and hay is little more than belly wading. Without it at least she can starve to death with a full belly and if she lives will she abort her baby or raise the one she's attempting to nurse?