supplies to have on hand

Help Support CattleToday:

plash23

Reaction score
Resently I have found that most things that occur happen or, I find out about after 5 and I need something immediatly to treat.
If you can give me some general things to keep on hand so I don't keep finding myself in this position that would be very nice.

Pam

I keep a small tackle box with needles and syringes,and medications in it.I've also got a small refrigerator in the barn that I keep Pennicillin,and other refrigerated vaccines and antibiotics in.

Yeah would like to put a fridge down there but gotta fix electricity first. Hmm got plenty LA-200 now.

We always have syringes, a varity of needles (14-18 gauge), penicillin, baytril, nuflor, terramycin boluses (if you buy from the salebarn, or a variety of places - substitute SMZ for the terramycin as they are for scours), sulfa boluses, iodine, furex, blood-stopper powder, lysol concentrate, and a few other things I can't recall right at the moment on hand.

Thanks Beefy, powdered colostrum is another thing. Also, if we have a cow that has lost her calf for whatever reason, we put her in the chute, milk out the colostrum and freeze it. Milk replacer is another thing we keep on hand.

Crowderfarms":hfx7ltlx said:
I keep a small tackle box with needles and syringes,and medications in it.I've also got a small refrigerator in the barn that I keep Pennicillin,and other refrigerated vaccines and antibiotics in.

Why do you use penicillin at all, not LA200 or some other broad spectrum antibiotic that is good for both gram positive and negative organisms? LA200 gives you a 50% better chance of curing any illness because it's good for both.

johndeerefarmer":1e4dnf9s said:
Crowderfarms":1e4dnf9s said:

Why do you use penicillin at all, not LA200 or some other broad spectrum antibiotic that is good for both gram positive and negative organisms? LA200 gives you a 50% better chance of curing any illness because it's good for both.
Penicillin is faster acting than LA-200. LA is slow release. I keep LA too, you dont have to refrigerate it.I also keep Baytril at all times Like I posted, along as other vaccines and antibiotics.

Thanks,

Was curious as to your reason.
I have been using LA200 ever since they took Combiotic off the market. How long has that been 15 or 20 years??
I am still not sure as to whether LA200 is better than Combiotic or not.

Latest posts