supplements

Help Support CattleToday:

chappo

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this board and somewhat to this industry. Just bought 20 crossbred calves will put them on a pretty good 300 acre pasture. Was wondering what type of supplements or minerals would help these calves. Average weight is about 300lbs and are weaned.

I'd run them thru the chute, worm and vaccinate, put out a bag of 12-12-12 mineral and let them graze.

At 300 lbs there are very few pastures that would have enough protein and few with enough calories to meet their needs.

Howdyjabo":2120vy9o said:
At 300 lbs there are very few pastures that would have enough protein and few with enough calories to meet their needs.

Ever sampled and tested high quality grazing?? Often runs well over 20% crude protein. It will work for what he's talking about. You want to grow these calves UP not OUT.

I hope he has one of those pastures :) What does it hurt for him to know that its not a given though?

Howdyjabo":2ca647iz said:
I hope he has one of those pastures :) What does it hurt for him to know that its not a given though?

Well he didnt' say where he was located, the condition of the pasture or what his goals are so with that much land available they should still do well just grazing.

Did the same thing with lightweights on highly fertilized coastal. They're two years old now and dropping calves with no problems. Culled some but they would have been culls either way. Happy with those I retained. LBW brangus bull helped. Some of those lightweights are now bigger than normal herd cows.

Corn prices had everything upside down. Lightweights were dirt cheap when I bought them. It worked out great.

Latest posts