Supplements

Help Support CattleToday:

SIMMGAL

Reaction score
Just exploring my options with pre-breeding supplements!

What extra supplements do y'all give or recommend for your recipient cows? I'm looking into using some supplement blocks etc. on a group of recips this fall. They have free choice high Mag mineral and I will give Multimin shots 4ish weeks prior. Pastures are nothing special, typical VA mix of orchardgrass and fescue. When pastures dwindle down, our hay supply is similar.

If you don't have a specific block or brand in mind, what %'s of each component do you look for to help with conception rates?

If there's a loose supplement or injection that you prefer, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance! Long story short, I'm trying to up my conception rates! :lol2:

Mineral companies often put additives in their products & claim they improve performance/ conception rates. Some of the most common ones would be endophyte binders for people grazing fescue, aspergillus oryzae and other prebiotics for increased fiber digestion, heat abatement products, omega fatty acids, and then obviously some type & level of organic minerals to increase absorption by the animal.

As to which one's I would suggest I'm not in fescue country so I don't know but I always hear really good things about the endophyte binders. The prebiotics seem to vary quite a bit. Some research shows they work really well, other research shows they don't. That goes for the heat stress relief products as well. The omega products have merit, but probably not in your situation. They work better when cows are on a typical TMR you would find in the heartland. The organic mineral products certainly have merit, how important they are does depend on your area. When picking one out I prefer to see the organics listed before the sulfates/oxides on the tag.

SIMMGAL":ohjrhskw said:
Just exploring my options with pre-breeding supplements!

What extra supplements do y'all give or recommend for your recipient cows? I'm looking into using some supplement blocks etc. on a group of recips this fall. They have free choice high Mag mineral and I will give Multimin shots 4ish weeks prior. Pastures are nothing special, typical VA mix of orchardgrass and fescue. When pastures dwindle down, our hay supply is similar.

If you don't have a specific block or brand in mind, what %'s of each component do you look for to help with conception rates?

If there's a loose supplement or injection that you prefer, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance! Long story short, I'm trying to up my conception rates! :lol2:
Some members on CT are using the Vitaferm Concept-Aide mineral and are seeing excellent results in their AI programs. Increasing the energy level of the diet will also usually give you some measurable benefits. A good high energy feed usually works well. Rumen By-pass fat would certainly help as well but is usually well out of most folk's budget.

Thank you for all of the replies, everyone! I'm looking into the Concept-Aide mineral for sure!!

EDIT:
For those of you who use Concept-Aide, how soon do you start feeding it? Site recommends 60 days pre calving unless I read it wrong.

Latest posts