Supplementing Low quality hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":25sdut6g said:
Not really still lease the same hay field I have for years.
Just got rid of the headache all it takes is three pounds of feed a day to satisfy a cows nutrition needs now I need 27 pounds to fill her up

3 pounds of (what's your reccomendation) CB?

JMJ Farms":lrmr5q5g said:
Caustic Burno":lrmr5q5g said:
Just got rid of the headache all it takes is three pounds of feed a day to satisfy a cows nutrition needs now I need 27 pounds to fill her up

2-1 mix two parts CSM one salt 27% protein have it mixed by the ton in super sacks at the local mill. Salt as limiter make them clean up some poor hay and stay rolling fat. Also liked Cargill Liquid Supplement when we could get it, haven't been able to get it here in the last 6 or 7 years.
You don't want to use either if you have good hay as it will build a fire in their belly and they will go through some hay and clean up a pasture.

Caustic Burno":2lzbtoi7 said:
JMJ Farms":2lzbtoi7 said:
Caustic Burno":2lzbtoi7 said:

2-1 mix two parts CSM one salt 27% protein have it mixed by the ton in super sacks at the local mill. Salt as limiter make them clean up some poor hay and stay rolling fat. Also liked Cargill Liquid Supplement when we could get it, haven't been able to get it here in the last 6 or 7 years.
You don't want to use either if you have good hay as it will build a fire in their belly and they will go through some hay and clean up a pasture.

That's good to know. How long could you feed them this mixture if it was a necessity? Indefinitely?

JMJ I fed it all winter of 2011 after the drought our hay was crap that year.
My second cutting was pretty sorry this year I haven't started out of that cutting yet I seriously doubt it is going to satisfy there needs.

Caustic Burno":3juvnerq said:
JMJ Farms":3juvnerq said:
Caustic Burno":3juvnerq said:

CB Cargill sold their liquid feed (Mol Mix) to Westway about that time. Westway owns just about all the liquid feed in the country now just might be marketed under different names.

TB our local mill quit carrying any liquid feed. Never understood why as everyone had liquid tanks and would just order delivery when needed.
Closest mix 30 is Jasper so that is 70 miles round trip plus I have to have my own tank and pump which I do then clean up afterwards.
I prefer the liquid supplements but the hassle and time was much easier to go to supersacks in a self feeder when needed.
I am about to finish last years hay this month and start on my sorry second cutting saving my good stuff.
Put out a ton of 2-1 right before this low sat down on us. Forty degree temps rain and wind these girls need some energy.
I think was Dun put out a chart one time the energy and feed required in rain versus below freezing it was a huge difference in the rain of energy required to stay warm.

littletom":2ai5dbh2 said:
17 dollars to have one bale rolled? How much do you have in a roll of your own hay?
When I quit in 2011 I had 46 dollars a roll in mine by the time you factored diesel string fertilizer replacement parts.
Lot of people bailing hay with a dull pencil

Caustic Burno":154ouoqy said:
littletom":154ouoqy said:
17 dollars to have one bale rolled? How much do you have in a roll of your own hay?
When I quit in 2011 I had 46 dollars a roll in mine by the time you factored diesel string fertilizer replacement parts.
Lot of people bailing hay with a dull pencil

I figure mine to the cent. 4x6 rolls. With a 4 bale per acre yield per cutting (3 cuttings per year) I have an average of $48 per bale in it. $18 baling, $5 rent and $25 fertilizer. Throw some army worms, stem maggots, and dry weather into the equation and it goes up even more. That makes 13-15% protein Bermuda hay.

littletom":31wlhdi7 said:

$17 is what I pay the guy that cuts and bales it, using over-the-edge net wrap. That is pretty cheap around here, but he has baled our grass since we owned the land. Our bales average 1050 pounds. In the spring, we will put down some Nitrogen, but we mostly graze our land (MIG), and only bale when it gets ahead of us. My only input is nitrogen, soil sampling every 4 years, and occasional lime when the test calls for it.

To update this thread, I talked with the extension about my options.
TB, the treating of the hay is not reasonable this time of year. In the cold weather, it will take more than 8 weeks to get desirable results. That will be about Spring here.... lol
I asked him about the CSM and salt, he said that was a common practice and good option. However, DDG's are cheaper than CSM, so he suggested mixing 80/20 DDG/salt. I ordered a ton at the mill, $176 for a ton. That sure is a lot cheaper than tubs! It is coming in 50 pound bags, and I can just dump one as needed in the mineral feeder between the mineral and salt. Sounds easy, I'll let you all know how it works.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2qcbuvnv said:
TB, the treating of the hay is not reasonable this time of year. In the cold weather, it will take more than 8 weeks to get desirable results. That will be about Spring here.... lol
I asked him about the CSM and salt, he said that was a common practice and good option. However, DDG's are cheaper than CSM, so he suggested mixing 80/20 DDG/salt. I ordered a ton at the mill, $176 for a ton. That sure is a lot cheaper than tubs! It is coming in 50 pound bags, and I can just dump one as needed in the mineral feeder between the mineral and salt. Sounds easy, I'll let you all know how it works.

So u mix the salt in with the ddg and leave it out free choice to the cows ? I feed my cows ddg but hand feed them once a day around 3 pounds per head. Let use know how it works for and how much they eat.

I fought it for a few years but I remember seeing cb say he sold his equipment several years ago.. I finally sold mine last year.. I have a guy that's 3 miles from me that rolls good hay .. he actually bought my baler. I buy 100 rolls of clean hay from him .. I raise my heifers on the bermuda fields at my house.. they were my hay fields .. I still fertilize the bermuda and running 15 heifers all summer I still roll 60 to 80 rolls on 18 acres.. if I see cheap hay I'll go look at it .. if it's clean just not fertilized I'll buy it .. my barn hold 500 Rolls. I have enough hay for 2 years right now.. when my calves start hitting the ground I supplement with either cubes or mix 30 .. it seems to work well here..

Fire Sweep Ranch":2liejuoa said:
That's fine. The DDG should work well. Most down this way use cottonseed meal in that mix just because of the higher protein and availability. Best wishes.