Supplementing Cool Season Grass Summer Slump

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have tried a number of ways to address the summer slump. Usually I graze corn or supplement 3 to 5#/hd/day. With the price of grain I think I am going to sell some corn and buy back some hay... I plan to feed in rough or poor areas that could use some fertility.

I plan to buy about 120 round bales from a neighbor who is 2 miles away. I currently have 2 flat bed wagons and some round bale rings. I can buy flat bed wagons for $200 to $250 each at auctions, and then I have to spend a little more on bearing grease and tire tubes.

Is there any way a guy can justify feeder wagons? The 30' long units go for around 4K new, and for over 2K used. Or is a bale buggy to unroll the hay a better approach for feeding on pasture without a bale processor?

Those cattle are going to eat whatever you put out whether it's in a $200 buggy,$4000 feeder,bale ring or on the ground. Big waste of money in my opinion for anything other than a hay ring.

I works pretty good to take a 4 wheel flat bed wagon. Better to use a wagon with open spaces for waste hay and leaves etc to fall through so you don't have to clean out waste. Chain a couple round bale feeders upside down to the top of the wagon. Bring the wagon to the hay storage area, put two bales in then take it to your feeding area with a pickup or whatever. put it in a clean spot. Works great, very little waste. You know those fancy 4'000 feeders aren't all their cracked up to be. I have one, it's a be nice to clean out. They have water drains but the hay clogs them instantly after rain they are really a pain in the be nice.

A bale wagon is the most inefficient method of feeding because it causes the most waste of hay, I guess after unrolling. U of Missouri, as I recall, did a study of the various types of hay rings. The best is the cone feeder type, least waste. Pic. below.

Full_view_with_cows.jpg