Supplemental Feed for Feeder Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Archie1001

Reaction score
I am entering into the feeder cattle business and have a question about supplemental feed, bulk feed in particular. In addition to pasture and hay in the winter how should I feed theses calves. I have received a lot of different opinions, from nothing to one and half lb per 100wt. This is an opportunity for some of you fellow farmers to help stamp out ignorance to which I plead guilty.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

sorry for all our sluggish responses. I would probably go with corn gluten. Depending on your hay situation, if youre short, i would go with a complete feed that doesnt necessasarily require much hay or any for that matter. In my area the complete feed is called "one shot grower" and its 140$ a ton. If that sounds high consider this: How long does a roll of hay last your cows and then consider the price to feed "one shot grower" to each animal. You have to feed 2% of body wt. to cows for maintaining weight, and I hope im telling you right 3-4% body weight for feeders. If somebody doesnt respond to this soon Ill be back with that figure. Anyhow if youre interested in learning about this feed, I can give you a 1-800# to the place where I get it. They have a DR on hand that will tell you all about it. Shop around for prices though I have seen it for 190$ ton.

My situation is this: Rolls of hay here are going for 50$ and normal square bales are advertised for 8$. I have no way to control how much hay my cows get with a roll, i can with squares but IM not paying 8$ if i dont have to. I can maintain my cows with 20lb a HD of the complete feed. I get it for 7$ a 100lb., so each cow will cost $1.40 a day to feed, there is no comparison. Hay would have to be sittin right across my road for 36$ or less for a 5x5 roll and it aint happening here. Remember, in it for the $ so manage right down to the penny.

I dont know if this helps but you cant feed nothing to feeder calves........thats how they got their name for cryin out loud....LOL Anyway, I feed my cow/calf operation 1lb per 100wt, but they suckin momma too for most of that time. Its a triple mix corn gluten, soy hull, and crush corn. Remember you are in a different situation, go with hay and corn gluten or with the complete feed (i feed with hay with mine too, just at a lesser rate). Hope this helps and keep me posted on what you decide.

Feeders should be started on 1% of their body weight using about a 13% protein ration. Every 7 days they can be increased if they are cleaning up everything fed, til they are eating about 3% of their body weight.
Whole shell corn with a protein pellet is a good feed, with good quality grass hay & water. Also a good mineral available. As they increase their weight, you want to decrease the protein pellets. At about 800# they shouldn't need any more protein pellets, just shell corn.
Best to feed twice a day.

At $1.40 a day how long will it take them to get to the selling weight. I am curious because I run cow/calf operation and would like to expand into stocker calves but I can not get the numbers to work.

what specific names of the feed are you referring too

3rdgeneration farmer":3oc7powt said:
My situation is this: Rolls of hay here are going for 50$ and normal square bales are advertised for 8$. I have no way to control how much hay my cows get with a roll, i can with squares but IM not paying 8$ if i dont have to. I can maintain my cows with 20lb a HD of the complete feed. I get it for 7$ a 100lb., so each cow will cost $1.40 a day to feed, there is no comparison. Hay would have to be sittin right across my road for 36$ or less for a 5x5 roll and it aint happening here. Remember, in it for the $ so manage right down to the penny.

I too...wonder what to do.. big bales$50 here too..think we have enough..but the price of corn so high to finish.. So what are you guys doing to finish them.. seems the price of gas goes up but not the market for cattle...what am I missing?
donna

3rdgeneration farmer":ot4hxr7e said:

Latest posts