Supplement ground feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was wondering if some one knew kind of a general formula for gains when giving ground feed to cattle.

I have heard some people say X amount of feed/ week can add X amount of pounds.

If you wanted to give ground feed to cattle that are grazing already how much would you need to give in pounds per head to actually benefit the cow/ calf/ bull so that you could see the gains?

I am not wanting to put out self feeder just feed some in moderation to bring their condition up a little in addition to the grass.

Go to your local feed store and tell them what you want to do.
There are many different formulas for feed, each with a different goal in mind. You may only need a protein supplement. A lick tub may do. I would use all natural ingrediants.
Keep in mind that if you feed them, the feed must be introduced slowly. Google up some info. on the rumen system and learn how and why it works.
One other thing to think about is the condition of your pasture.
If you need to supplement them then something is not right in the pasture. You may want to spend a little on fertilizer instead of feed. That is if you are getting enough rain.

If they are short on protein it may not take much. The standard advise is test your forage...

If they are short on energy it depends on how much fiber and starch is in the feed you use. The standard advise is 0.3% of body weight max per day for efficiency but I know you can go much higher if you do it gradually.

Latest posts