Supplement for Bad hay ?

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
The hay i bought last year is really poor quality- very straw-like and coarse. What can I add to their diets to increase the nutritional value and keep them eating this stuff? I've been supplementing with some alfalfa and that seemed to work out ok, but going to be running out of it before too long. Is there anything that will work better for less money?
I actually bought a protein supplement tub, but got it home yesterday I read the ingredients and don't think I want to be feeding that stuff to my cows( especially one that I'll be eating! )
I'm feeding a young heifer, steer and pregnant heifer. They all look pretty good on what we have been feeding, but would like to get them to eat up all the poor hay that's in the barn.

Thanks,
Susie

Hi Susie. I like DDG (dried distillers grain) as a supplement. It is fairly cheap and very dense with energy . It is also high protien. Just don't feed too much . 2 or 3 lbs per day will sure give them a boost.

ollie'":3e56r7tg said:
Hi Susie. I like DDG (dried distillers grain) as a supplement. It is fairly cheap and very dense with energy . It is also high protien. Just don't feed too much . 2 or 3 lbs per day will sure give them a boost.

Ollie,
I've read you post on DDG before. Where do you get it? Does it come by the ton or in a sack?
Thanks, Susie

Susie

IMO-Most of the grain milling byproducts would probably be good supplements for the hay you mentioned. Examples would be DDG, corn gluten, wheat mids, which have good levels of protein & energy. Other possibilities would be soy hulls or grain screenings. These have good levels of energy but would probably need some additional protein. Wouldn't have a clue what may be available in your area.

I would suggest getting on the phone and calling all of the feed mills & dealers in your area and see if they have any of these byproducts. Also ask for their feed recommendations for your situation.

Just my 2 cents worth

Good luck & best wishes

Brock

susie":15m1xcyr said:
ollie'":15m1xcyr said:

Ollie,
I've read you post on DDG before. Where do you get it? Does it come by the ton or in a sack?
Thanks, Susie
DDG is a byproduct/coproduct of ethanol production. If you have a feed store , they probably use DDG in some of their mixes assuming they have ethanol production in your area. IMO it is the cheapest source of protien and energy. If the feed store uses it they will usually bag off a ton or so for you. It costs around 7 or 8 dollars a hundred but could be more if you are a long way from the source. Soybean meal is also a good source of protien but is more expensive per protien unit.

just want to help my cows a little would mixing ddg and corn half and half be a good feed for cows or would it be better to feed just ddg by itself. or corn with soybean mill. last how does alfalfa pellets work in a corn mix

trin":ffj5yaa1 said:
just want to help my cows a little would mixing ddg and corn half and half be a good feed for cows or would it be better to feed just ddg by itself. or corn with soybean mill. last how does alfalfa pellets work in a corn mix
Alfalfa pellets are an expensive source of protien in my area. DDG is higher in protien, fat , and energy for the same money . Corn has less energy than DDG, less fat , and way less protien . Corn is less money but not enough less for the protien you get . If you are feeding rough hay , protien is usually what you need for dry cows .DDG is my favorite choice. Just feed it strait but don't over feed it. It's a very hot feed. Start them on a half pound or a pound till they all get to eating then you can ease them up till their manuer is the consistancy you desire.

ollie'":6bqa81i6 said:
trin":6bqa81i6 said:
Alfalfa pellets are an expensive source of protien in my area. DDG is higher in protien, fat , and energy for the same money . Corn has less energy than DDG, less fat , and way less protien . Corn is less money but not enough less for the protien you get . If you are feeding rough hay , protien is usually what you need for dry cows .DDG is my favorite choice. Just feed it strait but don't over feed it. It's a very hot feed. Start them on a half pound or a pound till they all get to eating then you can ease them up till their manuer is the consistancy you desire.
Ollie, I've been trying to get my hands on some DDG, but cant find any around here at all.

It's in Illinois or Iowa or Missouri for about 85 a ton. All of it east of the mississippi (roughly) is produced from medical grade alcohol and is a brown color. That west of the big muddy is from ethanol plants and is gold in colored. The ethanol has a little bit better test. Something like 27%protien, 10% fat, 125% the energy of corn. Trucking might eat you up but it's still a pretty cheap source of protien at 150 or 175 a ton. All of this is subject to error and from an old mans memory.

Crowderfarms":w1gqdkb1 said:
ollie'":w1gqdkb1 said:
trin":w1gqdkb1 said:
Ollie, I've been trying to get my hands on some DDG, but cant find any around here at all.

Crowder

Click on this link & scroll down for a list of suppliers of many different byproduct feeds. Hope this is helpful.

http://agebb.missouri.edu/dairy/byprod/bplist.asp

Regards

Brock

Thanks fellers. I've talked to several of our suppliers about getting it, to no avail. the info you both supplied me with is a step in the right direction! Good one Ollie on the Driving directions. :lol:

Nice link Brock. I didnt even know you still could get old process SBM. I heard that was sure good feed. DDG is still a better buy. What do you use as a protien source Crowder? SBM or Mids?

ollie'":3570a95k said:
Nice link Brock. I didnt even know you still could get old process SBM. I heard that was sure good feed. DDG is still a better buy. What do you use as a protien source Crowder? SBM or Mids?
Ollie, I like SBM, and sometimes Cottonseed Meal. I've often followed your recomendations on DDG, and decided earlier in the week to try and find some here in this general vicinity.Some say it's just not a popular product in these parts.I'm wanting to try it and see for myself.I'll keep yall' posted.

I'm curious to hear what you think. Let me know...be sure to put a pound of salt with it so you can be a "knowledgable cattleman"

ollie'":2fdqlwjl said:
I'm curious to hear what you think. Let me know...be sure to put a pound of salt with it so you can be a "knowledgable cattleman"
Trust me Ollie, I'm going to put the salt to em'. Brock, that link was excellent, just ran it through the printer.

No known source of DDG in our area. We use a blend of corn gluten pellets & soy hull pellets. Really like them for starting sale barn calves, supplementing cows, etc.

These "little brown pills" do wonders for thin, brokenmouth cows. I'm sure DDG would do the same.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards

Brock

Texas PaPaw":3o65w9k9 said:
No known source of DDG in our area. We use a blend of corn gluten pellets & soy hull pellets. Really like them for starting sale barn calves, supplementing cows, etc.

These "little brown pills" do wonders for thin, brokenmouth cows. I'm sure DDG would do the same.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards

Brock
Brock, this is the blend I'm using now, Just thought I'd try DDG, and kind of experiment with it.It may not be worth the while to change what aint broken. I've been feeding an 11% Soy Hull Pellet with Gluton, and it's done real well for me.

would ddg do good for feeder calves that i am tring to put weight on.or is it to rich

Latest posts