Super Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
A few years ago I was walking through my cows and I inadvertantly go between a Brangus and her calf. She has a very strong motherly instint - I'd rate her a 10+. Anyway by the time I saw my error, a lead cow stepped up and charged her knocking her about 5 feet sideways thus intercepting her just before she got me. It all happened so fast. I hence named the lead cow BERTHA and she will have a place on our farm till she dies.

This episode got me wondering. You hear about dogs and even cats saving peoples lives and such. Have any of you had experiences or heard of cattle protecting or showing signs of loyalty or love toward their caregivers? Or was this just a coincidence?

Jogeephus":2mewgfla said:
I hence named the lead cow BERTHA and she will have a place on our farm till she dies.

That's what I was told about our olllld Granny cow. She'll be here till she dies but that's caue we're going to butcher her rather then haul her to the sale. She has arthritis so bad that you can hear here hip pop from 30 feet away as she walks/hops. I had alwasy thought she'ld eventually become infertile, hadn;t ever expected a problem like this. She's completely sound in every other respect, great feet, still was trying to be the lead cow till I seperated her off, settled the day after I put the bull in with them, just that accursed hip problem.

dun

My brother and I were hitting baseballs in the backyard once when I was probably about 7 or 8, and somebody 'fouled' one off into the field beyond our yard.. This was a neighborhood full of houses and kids, mind you, but this little crappily fenced acre-or-so field was home to a young bull and a young horse. The owner was nowhere close, either.

Anyway, it was my turn to go get the ball, and after I got about 50 yards into the field, the bull noticed me and started to charge. All I could think about was getting over the fence, and I kept hearing the bull's steps getting louder and louder behind me.. I thought I was had..

The next thing I knew, I felt a big whoosh of wind from right to left, directly behind me, and felt something like a broom rake across the back of my neck.. It almost knocked me down it blew so hard.. I turned to see what the heck just happened -- still running, of course -- and saw the bull with all four legs stretched out in front of him, dirt flying from his hooves, trying for everything he was worth to stop. The big whoosh I'd felt behind me was the horse, and the raking I got was from his tail. He was that close.

My brother told me later that he saw the whole thing happen in what seemed like slow motion, and he really thought I was a goner.. The horse, he said, took off from way across the field when it saw the bull start to chase me, and he thought it was going to join in.. Instead, though, it ran headlong between us at full speed just as the bull was about to run me down. Scared the crap out of the bull, apparently.

I dunno if the horse did what he did because he liked us, or if it was because he hated the bull.. Either way, we sure were nice to the horse after that. The bull, though, caught a few dirt clods to the sack when he was facing the other way.. :lol:

Latest posts