Super Bowl ticket lawsuit

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
The New Jersey State Supreme Court has agreed to hear a class action lawsuit stemming from the 2014 Super Bowl.

New Jersey law protects consumers against inflated ticket prices by requiring 95% of ticket sales to the general public.
In 2014 the NFL sold only 1% of Super Bowl tickets to the general public, through a nationwide lottery.
The lawsuit seeks reimbursing hundreds of millions of dollars to people who paid over face value.
I would think any ruling could only apply to New Jersey residents.
NFL attorneys have declined to comment.

Seems to me most class action lawsuits are for the benefit of lawyers, but an unfavorable ruling for the NFL could
change how Super Bowl tickets are sold.

I would have to agree that class action lawsuits benefit the lawyers. Generally, there's nothing owed to the attorney's unless they win, and they keep a certain percentage. The plaintiffs, in these suits, are many! Most of the time, there can be hundreds to thousands of plaintiffs, and if they prevail, each person could end up with anywhere from $5.00 to a few thousand (if they're lucky).

I also agree, that an unfavorable outcome could, very well, result in changes in how tickets are priced & sold.

This is another black eye for the NFL, not that it doesn't deserve it. I have seen that this year's average ticket price is $5,200. That's a bit absurd. I understand it's supply and demand, but still the NFL has gotten a bit big for its britches.

I read this morning a creamery in Maine lost a 5 million dollar class action lawsuit over a missing comma in state law
regarding how overtime pay was to be calculated for drivers.
The 127 drivers will split 2.5 million ranging from $100 - $50,000 awarded to the 5 primary plaintiffs a $19,685 average.

The attorney takes the other 2.5 million for his trouble, plus if any of the 122 secondary plaintiffs fail to file a claim
with the distribution fund for their $100+ payment, the attorney gets to keep that person's share, for a potential
4.75 million of the 5 million going to the attorney.

Nesikep":20wwvwtl said:
you gotta be #$%#$$%$ stupid to pay that much for ticket!
Or have the income of 1 out 50 people (the 2%ers) that it's just chump change in their entertainment budget.

Everything is relative:
I remember reading many years ago for Bill Gates to spend $100,000 on a Lamborghini was the financial equivalent
of the average American worker buying an order of french fries at McDonald's.

Son of Butch":sqn172fa said:
Nesikep":sqn172fa said:
you gotta be #$%#$$%$ stupid to pay that much for ticket!
Or have the income of 1 out 50 people (the 2%ers) that it's just chump change in their entertainment budget.

Everything is relative:
I remember reading many years ago for Bill Gates to spend over $100,000 on a Lamborghini was less of an impact
financially than the average American worker buying a order of french fries at McDonald's.
Yeah if I had that kind of money to blow I'd probably go to the super bowl

Latest posts