Super Bowl Half time

Help Support CattleToday:

I used to love The Who. Saw them live in Chicago back in '73 and it was the best rock concert I've ever seen. "Who's Next" is one of the best rock albums of all time, IMO. I can't remember the last time I looked forward to the Super Bowl halftime show, but I was sure looking forward to this one. Boy, was I disappointed!! They were terrible, especially Daltry. I had to look away at first and finally left the room. I guess I was expecting The Who of 40 years ago. I feel old.

Used to hear Pinball Wizzard on the A.M. radio while hauling hay. Hay was up to 50 cents a bale. Pay went up to a nickel a bale to haul it from the field to the barn. We thought we were going to get rich.

It was great when they broke out in the song but they cut it off! Doggone it! Probably my favorite of theirs of all time. I never got used to the Elton John version from Tommy.

The light show was good considering it was in a stadium.

We've all gotten old. They've gotten really old :D

I too had to look away. I was embarassed for them. I guess it's true there's no fool like an old fool.

Cuz they oughta know better.

I am a big WHO fan but I couldn't figure how HALF-A-WHO would be a superbowl halftime attraction at this stage in there carer. From the time they announced it to the superbowl, it was 50/50 that another original would keel over.

I've seen them twice on their over-the hill-tours so this was about what I expected. I doubt it made the young CSI crowd want to run out and buy their CDs.@

I don't understand why they make such a big deal of the halftime show. It's always a disappointment. Plus, it's the Super Bowl. People are going to watch it. As far as I'm concerned, bring back the Kilgore Rangerettes.

AudieWyoming":xafvzsgk said:
I am a big WHO fan but I couldn't figure how HALF-A-WHO would be a superbowl halftime attraction at this stage in there carer. From the time they announced it to the superbowl, it was 50/50 that another original would keel over.

I've seen them twice on their over-the hill-tours so this was about what I expected. I doubt it made the young CSI crowd want to run out and buy their CDs.@

Half-a-who, good one. We were calling it "Who's Left". The extreme vocals in those songs were a strain to the vocal chords of young men, it isn't reasonable to expect old men to be able to pull it off. IMHO, they weren't that bad and they sure had a cool light show.

It was lip-synced any way, wasn't it? I noticed at one point, the guitar was playing, but the guy with the guitar wasn't.........

Embarrassing at best.

Frankie":iyw4ntzl said:
I don't understand why they make such a big deal of the halftime show. It's always a disappointment. Plus, it's the Super Bowl. People are going to watch it. As far as I'm concerned, bring back the Kilgore Rangerettes.

Don't know who they are but, Yeah.

13 year old son asked at halftime "I wonder how much those lights cost?" "Dunno" I said.

Then he asked. "That's not the same drummer they always had, is it?" "No, Keith Moon died about 100 years ago." I said.

Kilgore College in East Texas has a long standing pride in their dance/drill team. Their mascot was/is "Rangers" and their drill team was the Rangerettes. They were great going all the way back to the 60's when I first saw them. Back before all the drill team squads had competition they way they do now. Back in their day, they were the best period. And they were nationally known. Rose Parade invitations etc.

backhoeboogie":35c6fkaq said:
Kilgore College in East Texas has a long standing pride in their dance/drill team. Their mascot was/is "Rangers" and their drill team was the Rangerettes. They were great going all the way back to the 60's when I first saw them. Back before all the drill team squads had competition they way they do now. Back in their day, they were the best period. And they were nationally known. Rose Parade invitations etc.

When the Cowboys played in the Cotton Bowl, they did some of the halftime shows.

I have had three cousins on the squad through the years. It is pretty demanding with the schedules and all.

SB halftime is a unique gig. You play 12 minutes instead of the 2.5 -3 hrs many of the arena acts play.
So you get an arena show, with lots of big visual stuff to keep you watching and a medley of the performer's hits.
It takes 4.5 minutes to assemble that stage, according to the Indy Star. Watching that might be more interesting to some of us. It sounds like a NASCAR pit stop for stagehands.

For what it is, I thought the Who did pretty well. I did question why Pete Townsend dressed like a homeless person. I noticed his jacket was frayed (intentionally and expensively frayed, no doubt) and his untucked shirt and the stubble and the sock hat. Weird.