Super Baldy?

Help Support CattleToday:

What thoughts/ideas do you all have on crossing a good reg. Brahman heifer to a good reg. black Gelbvieh bull? I Am in Fla and have both of these breeds but have not crossed them. All ideas, thoughts, suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks,
R.Lee

I am currently selling my angus based cows and buying brangus cows as I can find them. I am planning to breed them to a registered polled hereford bull. My goal is to raise quality replacement heifers that look like the heifer in the picture. My question is will my calves have as much ear as this girl? Or do I need a different combination? Thanks in advance.

s1200.photobucket.com/user/jmjcon/media/image.jpg1_zpssb2yit3g.jpg.html]
image.jpg1_zpssb2yit3g.jpg
[/URL]

These are replacement heifers from Brangus cows with polled red Hereford bull, cows registered or purebred and bull purebred, Seelbach Ranch, Henderson TX

Attachments

• D27BD7AA-2FD3-4997-A3B5-609924B38A9C.jpeg
    D27BD7AA-2FD3-4997-A3B5-609924B38A9C.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 6D52760D-8F8B-4AAB-BC7E-B05EBA09652A.jpeg
    6D52760D-8F8B-4AAB-BC7E-B05EBA09652A.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 21
  • F638459F-9003-4489-9FCC-B33FF179DA48.jpeg
    F638459F-9003-4489-9FCC-B33FF179DA48.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
What thoughts/ideas do you all have on crossing a good reg. Brahman heifer to a good reg. black Gelbvieh bull? I Am in Fla and have both of these breeds but have not crossed them. All ideas, thoughts, suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks,
R.Lee
That only time I saw that cross the calves were nuts. Beautiful looking but saw monsters everywhere.
Limo didn't work well either with the brimmers for attitude.

That's correct.. That way you keep more of the ear when you cross them with the Hereford. And they tend to have a slicker coat.. The Hereford bull I have now puts too much hair on the calves for my area .. I'm running a polled Hereford bull now and don't really care for him . In going with horned next round .. I've talked to several guys that produce tiger stripe heifers and they all tell me the polled doesn't throw as uniform calves and they had problems with the hair even with bulls that are slick haired themselves .
True Brangus crossed with true Braford would also give you a slicker coat. The calves would still be 3/8th Brahma. The F1 Brangus x Hereford would be just 1/4 Brahma.

thanks, these I kept but as soon as some are weaned buyers are knocking at my door
I believe it, Seelback. I have a client that breeds registered Brangus. Last year he bred about 80 or so to registered Black Hereford bulls, homozygus for black. These calves all came out looking like yours,. At weaning last fall, one buyer came and bought every heifer he had. There were fall calves like this on the ground, and the man went ahead and paid him for all of those heifers. and this February, when the spring-calving cows started calving, he did the same thing. He had also started accumulating a herd of reg Black hereford cows, and bred them to some of his reg Brangus bulls. He has bred a lot of Ultra Blacks, so he calls these Ultra Black Baldies, because Ultra Blacks are Reg angus x reg Brangus, and these are reg Brangus x reg Black hereford. I guarantee you that you will sell every Ultra Black Baldy heifer you produce for top dollar, and these steers sell for every bit as much as solid black steers do.

I'm not as big of a fan of Hereford over Brangus. There is a good chance you end up with too much white. Seem like when you put the Black over the red it knocks more white off. In our case we put Black Angus over F1 Braford.
Much cheaper to do it the other way around.
Hereford cows are cheaper than Brangus.

Much cheaper to do it the other way around.
Hereford cows are cheaper than Brangus.
Oh, no doubt about that. He just already has hundreds of Registered Brangus, so he got Black Hereford semen to breed some of them with. He has accumulated about 20 or so registered Black Herefords, and did breed a handful to some of his Brangus bulls. But the rest he bred to Registered Brahma.

I have to laugh every time I hear super baldy, not because they aren't good cows because I think they are some of the best.
Years ago when my cousin was young him and his buddies were talking to his dad (my uncle) about buying some super baldies.
My uncle exploded, he said when big shots have them they are super baldies but when we have them they are just a black bald face cows. Then he says let me tell y'all what a super baldie is.
It's a cow that has a calf every 11-12 months, raises a good calf and is paid for!
Now that is what a super baldie is!!
I laughed so hard and still do whatever I hear super baldie. 😂

The super baldy term seems to get used a lot now. My understanding was the "super" part was adding Brahman influence. A black baldie was always just and of the sins, herf, etc crossed that threw a white face.
Exactly. Black Baldies are 1/2 Angus 1/2 Hereford. Ultra Black Baldies ( never heard them called supers) are 1/2 Angus 1/2 Braford or 1/2 Brangus 1/2 Hereford.

Latest posts