Super Baldy?

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
I am currently selling my angus based cows and buying brangus cows as I can find them. I am planning to breed them to a registered polled hereford bull. My goal is to raise quality replacement heifers that look like the heifer in the picture. My question is will my calves have as much ear as this girl? Or do I need a different combination? Thanks in advance.

s1200.photobucket.com/user/jmjcon/media/image.jpg1_zpssb2yit3g.jpg.html]
image.jpg1_zpssb2yit3g.jpg
[/URL]

Some may, the leather has been cleaned up on brangus (as you well know). Most probably want have that much ear. I like that cross, but I'd use a horned Hereford. Probably my favorite kinda cow.

As Bigfoot said, it depends. Not all of the modern Brangus look like Angus, but a lot of them do. If you want a little more ear on the calves then select cows that show more Brahman influence.

Nothing wrong with the amount of leather on that cow. As long as you are breeding to a bull that doesn't have any Brahman in it you would be fine. I would doubt most of the calves would be docked any at all. And if they did they would probably make up for it in pounds. Put any continental bull on that cow and you are mashing down the scales.

We have several heifers that look similar with a little less ear. There mothers were out of commercial angus cows by a brangus bull. These heifers are by a horned herford bull. They are will start calving this spring bred to a angus bull. I think they will work out sure are pretty.

littletom":3liu4goc said:
We have several heifers that look similar with a little less ear. There mothers were out of commercial angus cows by a brangus bull. These heifers are by a horned herford bull. They are will start calving this spring bred to a angus bull. I think they will work out sure are pretty.

Sounds like ultra blacks

I appreciate the responses. I have read these boards for years and finally decided to join. The reason I hadn't already is because almost all my questions had been answered by a member already. There's a world of combined years experience and knowledge here. To Bigfoot, why a horned hereford? (I actually have the guy I bought my polled hereford, who has scurs FWIW, saving me a horned hereford that should be ready in march)

Just my personal preference on a Hereford. I think the horned Herefords make better cows. Your brangus are gonna knock the horns off anyway. Calves will hetero, so you gotta watch what bull you use on the calves.

I like the horned Herefords too. And I've always thought they were better because they were more "original" before they were bred up or down or whatever. I really like the super baldy concept. I like the tigerstripes but you really take a beating at the sale barn on the steer calves.

Super baldy steers sell good, and the heifers make nice replacements. It's a good cross. I'd like to have some heifers off of some tiger cows, and an angus bull. Hard to find here.

Hard to find here too. Almost nonexistent. I've got 2 true tigers. They will get in your grill about their babies. Calm any other time. I like a good angus bull. I have a neighbor who uses black limousines. He flat tops the market. His calves have good height, good length, and grow very well. I just don't think I will ever be able to operate in quantity so I'm opting for quality. Try to do my part to improve the cattle business a little. Maybe my kids will show interest when they're older or something.

how is the disposition on those black limousine calves.

I have never fooled with a limousine cross that was not crazy as a bed bug....nice calves but jump a six foot fence or take you out crazy...

Vet says he can tell the limousines because they consistently kick over his head....I can not recall it all but one cross kick right in the chest...

To me they act just like all the others. Every once in a while you're gonna have a fool but in MY OPINION most of that goes back to one of two things. 1) mama cow is a fool and should have been culled or 2) handling techniques. Keep them calm. One thing that may play a part in his limosuine crosses being calm is that he rides through them 2-3 times a day every day so it's not like they see people only twice a year. I've thought real hard about buying one. Exceptional calves.

I have raise limousin cattle for over 30 years and can't remember the last time I was kicked by one or even kicked at. But mine don't have any angus influence.

I run mostly f1 brangus cows with a Hereford bull.. I prefer my cows to look like a black brahma cow. Sure makes pretty heifers .. I also run a brangus bull with moderate leather to keep replacements for my herd .. I've got a few that will get in your back pocket when te have a small calf but that don't bother me .. For the most part they know me but a stranger shouldn't go in the pasture ..

I prefer the cows to look like black brahman also. And you suggest a true F1 angus/brahman rather than a true brangus? Makes a lot of sense. Adds a little more brahman to the mix. And then bred these to a hereford. Correct?

JMJ Farms":13pq4ecu said:
I prefer the cows to look like black brahman also. And you suggest a true F1 angus/brahman rather than a true brangus? Makes a lot of sense. Adds a little more brahman to the mix. And then bred these to a hereford. Correct?
That's correct.. That way you keep more of the ear when you cross them with the Hereford. And they tend to have a slicker coat.. The Hereford bull I have now puts too much hair on the calves for my area .. I'm running a polled Hereford bull now and don't really care for him . In going with horned next round .. I've talked to several guys that produce tiger stripe heifers and they all tell me the polled doesn't throw as uniform calves and they had problems with the hair even with bulls that are slick haired themselves .

That's good to know. And like, i think it was Bigfoot said earlier, the Brangus is gonna knock the horns off anyway so there's no reason to not use a horned hereford.

Latest posts