Sunday School

Help Support CattleToday:

Chuckie

Suggest doing as Dave did and visit other churches until you find one that you are comfortable with. Possibly even visit other denominations. My wife and I changed denominations a few years ago due our disagreement with the direction our long time denomination was going. Was one of the best decisions we ever made.

In this process have learned that many denominations are driven from the top down but some are actually controlled by the local congregations. Fortunately we found a loving, bible based church to worship at and have become quite active there.

Hope you can find a church that fits your needs.

WalnutCrest":29hmf66r said:
Running Arrow Bill":29hmf66r said:
First of all...I am a Christian!

Given that...

The Christian Bible is a book of stories, metaphors, parables, examples, and thoughts for righteous living. Any "literal" interpretation is the stretch of the imagination. For example: "Adam and Eve" fell into sin and procreated the Earth...A real stretch and would have taken thousands of years (in our own interpretation of time) to accomplish this. Would also allude to a lot of outcrossing, crossbreeding, and incest. And...they did a lot of traveling from Continent to Continent as evidenced from historic archelogical remains found across all continents and among different races of people...

I'll shut up...before I get banned or this thread gets locked down...

Interesting.

So, what differentiates someone from being Christian from being non-Christian? What do you think the word "Christian" means?

Words mean things, and without a common set of definitions, it's easy to get in an argument that makes no solid points the other can understand. :)

I stand corrected! The word "Christian" is ambiguous. What I MEANT was...that I'm not a Muslim, Hindu, Budda, Ra Worshiper, Totem Pole follower, and all the other "Non-" sects, groups. And... I don't drink Kool-Aid made by Jim Jones or Obamma.

:deadhorse:

Texas PaPaw":161h08v4 said:
Chuckie

Suggest doing as Dave did and visit other churches until you find one that you are comfortable with. Possibly even visit other denominations. My wife and I changed denominations a few years ago due our disagreement with the direction our long time denomination was going. Was one of the best decisions we ever made.

In this process have learned that many denominations are driven from the top down but some are actually controlled by the local congregations. Fortunately we found a loving, bible based church to worship at and have become quite active there.

Hope you can find a church that fits your needs.

+1 to Brock's suggestion. :nod: :nod: :nod: Keep looking and don't give up until you find a church that suits and speaks to your spiritual needs.

I have observed as with cattle breeds sometimes there is as much difference within some denominations as there is between denominations.

On a Sunday morning, I can listen to Lutheran worship services on the radio on the way to and from church.

The majority of the time, these Lutherans use the same scripture on any given Sunday as my church does, and the liturgy is so similar I could fit right in. :shock:

I identify myself generically as WalnutCrest does as Christian in order to differentiate myself from other faiths. More specifically, I am a cradle to grave Roman Catholic.

The RC church certainly IS a "top down" faith so it probably isn't for everyone. Ultimately the faith and sincere practice of the local pastor and congregation in their walk with Christ can make or break a local church. That goes for any denomination.

That's my :2cents: and worth what you paid! :tiphat:

Chuckie,

I think we can pray for our governments, pray that they follow God's will, that God would lead them. That God's will be done.

We can pray that God would bring up another leader at the next election and that the people would get out and vote.

Just because the 'man' in leadership is stick off on his own does not mean we can't pray for a renewed direction.

Not praying for our leaders is like not praying for the pastor of our congregation.

Not praying for our leader is like a mother not praying for her wayward son.

Yes God can leave us in our sin. However prayer is a powerful tool bring about change. Something we have seen many times in the bible

A topical story from when I was a kid ...

My dad raised the flag pole ... with an American Flag on top and a Christian Flag right below it.

Our neighbor came down to ask us why we were flying a Red Cross flag.

Dad corrects him, telling him that it's a Christian flag.

The neighbor responds, "What are you doing that for? We're all Americans?!"

I still shake my head and smile when I think about that old crusty guy...

Running Arrow Bill":3u7bhoqd said:

Given that...

The Christian Bible is a book of stories, metaphors, parables, examples, and thoughts for righteous living. Any "literal" interpretation is the stretch of the imagination. For example: "Adam and Eve" fell into sin and procreated the Earth...A real stretch and would have taken thousands of years (in our own interpretation of time) to accomplish this. Would also allude to a lot of outcrossing, crossbreeding, and incest. And...they did a lot of traveling from Continent to Continent as evidenced from historic archelogical remains found across all continents and among different races of people...

If you cant accept it as being 100% truth with no errors then there no point in reading it.

Running Arrow Bill":9zsfzlb6 said:

Given that...

The Bible is the word of God

No literal interpretation? Well that presents many issues if we take your conclusion and apply, then:
1. Christ did not die on the cross as a ransom for every sinner who has ever been
2. Christ did not rise from the dead
3. Christ is not the only way to heaven
4. Christ did not ascend to heaven
5. God did not create everything in six days
6. Satan will not be defeated

Read Job, particularly where God asked Job if he was there when all was created. We cannot understand how many things occurred? Try understanding how God never had a beginning. Try understanding how God created the entire universe, or the human eye, or why we seek to be loved and love.

Gods has given us his word to show us how much he loves us and the consequences of sin which is death. God has explained what was, what is and what will come.

I do pray for our government, but not for Obama, Biden, Holder, Reid, Pelosi, and Kerry to come to their senses I pray for them to be removed from office. I pray for our constitution to be restored.

I do not feel bad for what I said to the Sunday School teacher as he is such a liberal and I wanted to get my point across to him since he has younger people listening to him and they can be influenced to go liberal.

I have no problem with visiting other denominations at all. There is a small Baptist church down the road, and there is a Lutheran church several miles away. I will just have to get started somewhere.

I hope that they allow jeans at the church I visit.

Dave":2b8o3oea said:
Actually the term "Christian" is only in the bible about three times and it was a term used by those who didn't believe in Jesus to describe his follower. So there is no definition of what a Christian is. This is one of the reasons that you can find "Christians on both sides of wars, arguments, and issues. On the other side of the coin Jesus does a pretty good job of defining how his followers or disciple are to act. So what is a "Christian"? I know I have seen lots of them in church on Sunday morning that you wouldn't want to do business with on Monday. There are lots of self described Christians but followers of Jesus are a bit more scarce.

This is off subject to a large extent but a story to demonstarte your statement:

When I was 15, I was going to a Methodist Church under the command of my mother. Dad never went to Church so he didn't care. There was an elder in the Church, Denzel Morehead. He and his wife sat on the front pew. One Sunday after Church, he went to mom and ask if Henry (my brother, one year older) and I would work for him putting in hay. She came home and ask dad. Dad said yes. Mr. Morehead told Henry to keep our time. Henry borrowed dad's pocket watch. Henry had just gotten his driver's license and we drove the 4 miles to Mr. Morehead's farm each day in a 1952 Chevrolet. At the end of two weeks, it was pay day. When Henry presented our time to Mr. Morehead, he told Henry he was wrong. Henry made a feeble attempt to argue but as young boys raised hard will often do, he took the check Mr. Morehead offered and we got in the car. On the way home, he told me we had been cheated. Mom was in the kitchen when we walked in. Henry told mom Mr. Morehead cheated us. She said get in the car. We both got in and she drove. Her face was stern. I don't remember anyone saying a word. She parked in front of Mr Morehead's house. We all three walked to the front door. When his wife answered mom politely ask for the man of the house. When he came to the door, mom said Mr Morehead you ask for my boys to work for you. You told them to keep their own hours. Now you need to pay them for the hours they worked. He said I don't think Henry got his hours right. She said, I know my boy sir, he doesn't lie or cheat if that is what you are attempting to say. "Oh, no. I would never call him a liar. Let me get my checkbook." He paid us for the rest of our hours.

We often talk about this at family gatherings. And mom smiles with pride when we brag on how she handled that.

John SD":yfoq5wnf said:
I identify myself generically as WalnutCrest does as Christian in order to differentiate myself from other faiths. More specifically, I am a cradle to grave Roman Catholic.

The RC church certainly IS a "top down" faith so it probably isn't for everyone. Ultimately the faith and sincere practice of the local pastor and congregation in their walk with Christ can make or break a local church. That goes for any denomination.

That's my :2cents: and worth what you paid! :tiphat:

As it should be. Even St Paul in sacred scripture said to "Listen to the Church...the pillar and foundation of truth".

Running Arrow Bill":3nr457lf said:

Given that...

Not trying to push my beliefs on you only giving you some food for thought. But the next time you ponder these questions look at them from the perspective of the Bible being the history of the Jewish people with Adam and Eve being the first Jews - God's chosen people - and I think you will see a lot of things fit together nicely with no conflicts with science or evolution. In fact, when read and understood in this fashion there is a lot of of science that verifies many things in the Bible.

Of course accepting this as the true you - or at least I - being a gentile - must accept the fact that we may have evolved from ape like creature but I'm OK with this.

Inyati, the relationship you have with God is between you and God. Some people are there only to get to heaven because they are afraid of he\\, so they go through the motions. But you can sit in the church all day long, and it will get you no where. If you go through the motions of being saved and cheated a man that day, knowing you are planning on cheating a man tomorrow, God knows your heart. If you are truly asking for forgiveness, and are willing to change your life, then he forgives. But if you come to him as a false saint, then he knows. He knows what you are thinking and he knows what you are planning. Same with people who murder, child molesters, etc..... You can't go and asked to be saved,with plans on what you are going to do tomorrow, it will not work.
Rewards are given, and rewards are taken away.

The man that cheated you, cheats himself. He reaps what he sows.

You should not let the people who think they are deceiving God or the other members of the church change your relationship with God. This kind of situation goes on in many situations in life. Such as a friend who acts loyal, then he deceives you, he does not define all of your friends.

Here is a good example of people pretending to be something they aren't. I saw this often when I rode horses for years.
People would pull up in very expensive truck and the fanciest trailers. They would be wearing the nicest clothes and they appeared to have a lot of money. But I knew that they lived in a trailer house and were living from check to check. They had paid more for the truck than their house. The trailer was very expensive as well. They were very snooty, and it was quite a show. People don't have their priorities in order.
But it didn't keep me from riding horses.

Some people cheat getting college degrees, but it shouldn't keep you from going to college. It depends if you want to truly learn.

So these examples fit for any situation in life. There are Christians that don't understand what it means to be a Christian, and they are going to miss the buss.
So these people should not change your interpretation of a Christian as you read the Bible.

TennesseeTuxedo":3ovbpoj5 said:
So how much did Henry pad your hours?

Henry was the oldest. He thought he had to carry the mantle of honesty, integrity, leadership, etc. When dad would give us two older boys duties, I always wanted to go fishing or hunting as soon as dad was out of sight. But no, not Henry. And the problem I had was he was bigger in size and a year on me. If I got too far out of line, he would resort to physical violence. So no chance Henry would ever pad the hours. To this day, he has not learned how to let the big end drag. :D

Latest posts