Sunday report charolais calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

11 more calves this week, 7 females, 4 males. 1 bigger calf had the head retained but after we replaced lt the cow calved without problem. Calving season will slow down now that the first 40 days are near over in other words, 2 heat cycles. The calves are coming mostly by our walking sire now and the ones by Dubuc Google 915G are really good so far.6B9CE684-1093-4662-8858-8307391A1220.jpeg

Last edited:
I always like seeing your cattle and the setup that you have. You have the nicest Charolais that I have seen. I'd bet your walking herdsire looks really impressive once he gets on spring grass.

8 more calves this week, we are at 94 calves for 93 cows. We have 18 calves from Dubuc Google the bull in the picture above and expecting 2 more, so for a yearling he made a good job. After some heifers he bred the second calvers. We prefer putting a bull with the second calvers than A.I. them, We found that a bull stimulate them to become in heat more rapidly.

Only 2 more calves this week, A.I. season is approaching so we collect 2 bulls: Dubuc Google 915G and Dubuc Hercules 6H, 100 doses each for in heard use only. We will use HRJ Maverick and LT Del Rey still this year and try a new bull WDZ Warroad from GENEX. We have some doses left in the tank from Wr Wrangler, Shelco Made Easy, SOS ChuckWagon, Dubuc Casanova, First and others, our work is to fine witch cow will fit with the good bull. EPD, calves from the pass years, feeling, nose, that's the breeder job and we live with our choices! The good part is if you do a bad choice there is always the slaughter house to repair them.
Calves are taking shape, here's a Made easy daughter.
4403AB07-2B8F-4E6B-90EF-5A9D1F60A004.jpeg

Last edited:
Love to see the weekly "calf report" with your good looking charolais cattle. What's you final count? I remember you lost one but had a twin to graft... how many sets of twins this year?
How has your weather been? When do you anticipate moving them to pasture?
Hope you continue to have a good year.

Love to see the weekly "calf report" with your good looking charolais cattle. What's you final count? I remember you lost one but had a twin to graft... how many sets of twins this year?
How has your weather been? When do you anticipate moving them to pasture?
Hope you continue to have a good year.
Last one? So, you're finished for the year? And good save on the calf.
I should have said: the most recent or something like that, we still have 8 calving cows to go. We are at 104 calves alive and we just lost a pair of twins. The cow accept another twin and she's doing a great job raising him. She's very quiet and we what to give her a chance next year (6 year old cow and had a pair alive in the past). We have 3 set of twins alive. The winter been great except for 4-5 days really cold but a bit lest colder than they had in western Canadian. We have 2 foot of snow on the ground right now, not a big year for snow and that's fine with me! Each year cows-calves are out at the end of May or in June so still a lot of work to do.8349890D-4DA9-44D5-8F90-72A92E99EA28.pngFF90548E-E858-4E0D-B665-471F4E69E989.png

Last edited:
We had an extra calf today, this little fella is from an heifer born January 10 of 2020 so she calved at 15 months. The herd bull was with that group until July 20. She was 7 months old maximum when she took the bull. We help her a bit but was very easy. By chance the herd bull who was there was our heifer bull making the cleanup. He will not be our heaviest at weaning but it's one more!
2DE0831E-4C98-478B-AD95-BBF8D8B9F349.jpeg

Surprise! Love it when those "oops" babies turn out well. BTW, I don't turn out my retained heifers until they're 15 months, so your little teenager is doing great!
The heifer calf was not weaned at 7 months. She's around 1000 pounds right now. She wasn't cycling so we made her check by the vet. We choose to let her have the calf because he was big and the bull who was there was very easy calving.

Last edited:
The heifer calf was not weaned at 7 months. She's around 1000 pounds right now.
Yup! My heifer that was bred at 7 months wasn't weaned - and I pulled the bulls that day. And she got a shot of Lutalyse at 49 days when we weaned AND the vet preg checked her as open. See aforementioned "oops!". It happens.

Latest posts