Sunday Drivers..Pseudo Cattlemen

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo":2exx60qr said:
And speaking of cows on the loose.... keep letting the get away around my place and I might just open my gates instead of yours. If those morons don't take care of them, then surely they don't need them. I believe that I heard somewhere that possession was 90% of the law.

Last fall there were four beautiful calves roaming around near me. People called me asking if they were mine but they looked too good to be mine. I tried to help get them caught but we just couldn't catch them. Never did find out who owned them. Last month I saw the steer in a ditch in front of my friends house. It had been hit by a car. I only wish I had been in the car behind the one that hit it cause I would have butchered it on the spot. It was every bit of 1200 lbs an had been finished on field corn, peanuts and cotton bolls. :nod:

Got a phone call about a month or so ago from one of the neighbors. An hour or so after dark and two of the walmart cowboys that board there were out riding their horses (in the dark???). They claimed to have heard a large animal "take down" one of our calves, their words, not mine. The smallest calf in that lot was about 500lbs. I was content to ignore the call but at the prodding of my wife I checked it out. Cows were laying around chewing their cud or peacefully grazing, no sign of a mass murder, though they were a bit agitated by the spotlight in their faces. I think the horse yahoos would like to imagine we live in the wild west.

cfpinz":xk9i58oa said:
I think the horse yahoos would like to imagine we live in the wild west.

Specially after eating a mushroom sandwich or two. :lol2:

TNMasterBeefProducer":xk9i58oa said:
They saw me and hot footed it back to back of the property. I just opened the gate and ran em all in there.

Most cows know they aren't supposed to be outside the fence don't they. Seems mine are normally very easy to get back in if they head to Walmart or something.

Jogee -
Just contact cfpinz or Crowder for all your calf pulling needs - bull or cow, those boys can take care of you. One of them wrote a book on pulling calves from bulls and the other one provided the illustrations, not sure which one did which job.
BB

Bullbuyer":3ylmsn7n said:
Jogee -
Just contact cfpinz or Crowder for all your calf pulling needs - bull or cow, those boys can take care of you. One of them wrote a book on pulling calves from bulls and the other one provided the illustrations, not sure which one did which job.
BB

:lol2: :lol2: You just brought up a world of memories with that post. I used to help my dad with his large animal practice and some of the stuff the pseudo experts did or tried before calling him would have been just plain hilarious if it wasn't that the animal suffered sometimes under their care. Many names and faces came to mind so I could readily imagine what the illustrations looked like. :lol2:

(Thanks for making my day :tiphat: )

Jogeephus":19b6hmz3 said:
BUSTED is the look the lead cow normally has on her face. ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

When mine get out, they give me that "It weren't me" look.

And yes, they know they're not suppose to get out. Mine always wait until I'm at least 20 miles away before they get out.

I've got it figured like this:

0 miles from home - 0% chance of getting out.
1 mile from home - 1%
5 miles - 5%
20 miles - 20%
100 miles - 100%
500 miles - 500%

This math works every time. :lol2:

Grannysoo, that's about right. I honestly think there is a 70 mile rule that is infallible - they will get out at this distance. If not yours, it will be your neighbors and everyone will call you. I know this to be true due to my 8 roll a year neighbor.