Summitcrest Pfred

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Has anyone bred their cows to Summitcrest Pfred? What are your thoughts on this bull? I like his numbers as far as commercial cattle go. He might not be top show quality, but the weights he shows across the board are really good. I did see one heifer by him and I really like her. She was a medium sized heifer, but had a lot of length and depth. Chuckie

PFred is a proven heifer bull; maybe the most used in the breed. Though he has good numbers, I wouldn't use him on cows. I think there are better bulls available. But we did calve out a couple of heifers to him last year and I was pleased with the calves. The bull calf weaned ok, not the best, not the worst in his contemporary group, gained well on test and had adequate marbling and ribeye. The heifer we're breeding now is more feminine than I expected. She comes from a long line of, I'll use the term "plain" cows. She's better looking than her mom, grand or greatgrandmom. Dispositions are good, plenty of frame, thickness/muscling might be questionable.

SEC,
Who would you suggest then? Not trying to be a smart alec, just asking for an opinion? Maybe two or three that leave good daughters? Thanks.

Woodhill Foresight, Hyline Right Way 781, HA Image Maker 0415, OCC Emblazon, CAR Duke, Whitestone Survivor and Widespread, CH Quantum 3330.

Depends I guess on your parameters and what you need of of the bulls.

I believe good cows make good bulls!

Pfred is a safe bull to use. I have several daughters and they are the best milkers I have. One cow does have larger teats but that comes from the cow families too, so don't use him on cows with questionable udders. You won't get anything flashy but they will perform well. You can use him on smaller cows and he will add frame. The best calf I ever got out of him was out of 5 frame Anchor daughter.

Pfred looks like the old style breed by his numbers, he is ranked high for a commercial cattle operation. His BW is low, and Weaning weight is high, as is his Yearling weight. The Milk is only around average which means the calves growth was greatly influenced by the grass he ate and the genetics he was born with. Mom's milk helps out too.
I like this bull for commercial herds. I think he has something to offer the cows across the board. He is one of those bulls that has the right numbers, but doesn' quite make it to being the most. I eventually will try him. Chuckie

He produces more mature weight than most Continentals.

Guy from MARC showed a slide show a year or so back.

These Angus bulls with more than 40 pounds of MW, and over about 80 pounds of YW make cows just as big as Simmentals, and actually they are smaller than Gelbvieh.

It sounds to me like if a registered breeder uses him, and he produces only average calves, then that registered breeder is running Black Simmental, and doesn't know it.

mtnman

According to my AI guy, he's really popular around here for heifers- easy calves, good wean weights and disposition. He's the most popular Angus AI bull he uses ( on heifers).
Bigger framed than what I wanted though, so didn't use him, but he probably would've been a fine choice.

Susie

Frankie - this description sounds like the heifer is one of those long-headed, slope-faced, droop-mouthed, funnell-butts of the Sixty's and Seventy's. We certainly don't want to get that tendency of breeding started again. Wye Plantation breeding had that type years ago. Gave you the shivvers just to look at them!

DOC HARRIS

Yessss! - Who know's What "Evil" LURKS[/i ] in the hearts of the breeder's who ignore EPD's, - - the results of which are - - -FUNNEL BUTTS!? aH-HAH HA HAAAAAH! The SHADOW'S NOSE! I mean, "The Shadow Knows!" They end up being long-headed, slope-faced, droop-mouthed FUNNEL BUTTS that are foisted upon the breeder's of the unsuspecting world! Just ask CATO - the Shadow's long-suffering "Philippino" Valet. He knows, too!

DOC HARRIS

Hey Doc! I guess those Funnel Butts are lurking everywhere. If the "Shadow" did it, then he best find another farm to hang around! He-he!!!! One popped out last year on us. Her Mom and Dad both had long hips, and rounded hineys. But no, she had to have a pointed butt. The other calves her age, are round and full. She is still growing like a long legged colt and is passing them in height. She is big, and reminds me of a cow crossed with a Holstein. In a horse, that would be good, but have no plans of riding her. Her Dad was huge, (7+ frame) so I guess she is taking on that frame. Too bad I can't teach her to play basketball.
This might be a good lesson hands on lesson about small vs. large frame cows.
We still have her and are watching her to see what happens.
Doc, what do you do with a Funnel Butt when they pop up in your "Good" cows? Chuckie

Chuckie - Phenotypically - you 'wince' - and observe if she manifests other more positive traits that might circumvent the prepotency of "Funnel-Butt-ism"! Genotypically - you cull and carefully plan a journey for her to the "MEET" Market to 'meet' OTHER culled "Funnel Butts" for the ultimate and inevitable elimination of ALL Funnel Butts from the Genome Pool of profitable Beef endeavors!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, Here is the "Funnel Butt," a.k.a. "Tater," at 6 months old. She is the ugliest heifer/cow that we have in my opinion. She is 15 months old now, and still looks the same, except only taller.
Chuckie
Tater8-26-05.jpg

Chuckie":92mo16pk said:
Doc, Here is the "Funnel Butt," a.k.a. "Tater," at 6 months old. She is the ugliest heifer/cow that we have in my opinion. She is 15 months old now, and still looks the same, except only taller.
Chuckie
Tater8-26-05.jpg
Chuckie- I agree with you to a certain extent that "Tater" is a fair representative of "Funnel Butt-ism", however she does have some redeeming features. She has a straight, level top-line from her poll to her tail, smooth shouldered, a little restricted in her heart girth, could improve in her spring of rib, but a pretty level underline. She is long, smooth with moderate thickness of muscling, indicating femininity, which is what you look for in a brood cow. If she she had muscling resembling that of a bull she would probably have light milk production and possible reproductive problems. She stands on straight legs, good feet and pasterns, a wide- breedy head, sharp poll, smooth tail head, and she is not sickle hocked. I would like to see a heavier round, but she does have a level rump, a little short from her hooks to her pins, and , granted, she is a little shy in the back pockets area. But taking all in all, she is not a bad heifer and bred to a bull with strong, full hindquarters she could have some good calves. Don't give up on her just yet. She could make you a good cow. What kind of EPD's does she have, particularly marbling and rib area?

Ugly is as ugly does, and she just might do pretty good.

DOC HARRIS

Doc, I agree with you on her weak points. She does have some good points also. But, she just is the least "eye appealing" in the group. I can compare it to having a nice truck with a small dent in the side of it. Your eye always goes to the dent. Chuckie
Her EPD's are:
BW..+2.3
WW...+47
YW...+95
Milk...+18
$EN...+2.09
IMF...+I+.24
RE..I+28
Fat...I+.002
$W...+21.44
$F...+36.04
$G...+17.11