Summer

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
I know most of us here are already in summers mid swing and everybody's families are done with school for the summer. I finally get out come Friday of this week then I have about 2 weeks to when I become a 24-7 worker on the farm. I can't wait to get down there and working with grandfather and getting back to my roots. I'm trying to get some money worked up to buy myself a digital camera so I have one at all times when down at the farm. I'll be hard pressed to check this every or everyother day so I'll keep everybody posted on me being alive with the change of avatars and the webpage. I figured I'd let y'all know that when you don't hear from me for a month at a time it's not cuzz I got killed or in trouble, I'm just workin for a hot meal and good bed.
Jake

Hope you have a good summer, Jake. Be sure to post every chance you get. Don't work too hard. Be sure to save a little energy for raring up and pawing the ground. Snort in their flanks while you still can. One of these days you'll be too old like some of the rest of us.

I'm already working myself into the ground now... I do it willingly because a 63 year old man that doesn't have the strength he used to needs that extra set of muscles around to help get the job done. He never does think I get much accomplished til he has to start doing it all himself again at the end of each summer.

If he gets tired of your help I'm sure I can find something for you to do around here.
Remember too, one day you'll be that 60+ year old that needs an extra hand(muscle).

dun

Jake":3nbc1dir said:
I'm already working myself into the ground now... I do it willingly because a 63 year old man that doesn't have the strength he used to needs that extra set of muscles around to help get the job done. He never does think I get much accomplished til he has to start doing it all himself again at the end of each summer.

Jake":3c7g4owd said:
I'll keep that in mind Dun
Hell If Jakes Grampa gets tired of him he's got a home here if CherokeeRuby doesn't get him first. Dun you are third in line.

Beefy":indteasj said:
i dont think you can call Ellie Mae AND Jake. thats not fair.
I noticed Ellie Nae was signed a coupla days ago but she never made any post's. That was a change. Maybe to busy with getting outta school for the summer. Any ways, several miss her. Not many misses Blackpower or Oregonion though. Maybe they got mad at us. CherokeeRuby said If I would get offa here, she wouldn't get mad.

sounds like you have a really busy summer. i like to keep my summer pretty much open. i work 3 days a week and the rest im working with my bull. gonna show him a lot this summer, but thats for fun. other than that i got nothing but kick back and party.

Jake, is grandpa compensating you for your work? Maybe he can throw a couple of calves your way for your helping out. That might make all the work seem worth it when you get to go and mess with your own calves after a long hard day!
I really enjoy your posts and am looking forward to the day when my son is old enough to help me out with some of the work around here. I wish I would of had your access to cattle knowledge when I was younger. Maybe you can drop a few hints and 20-30 of us "older folks" might be able to help you with that digital camera. I think we bought my daughter one for Christmas and it was less than $200 at Best Buy. How much are they nowadays? I for one enjoy seeing pics of other folks cows and especially their operations and facilities! Am I offbase here or is anyone else interested in helping out what appears to be a future rancher stay off the streets at night? Lord knows I bought at least $10 bucks worth of girl scout cookies over the yrs!

I've always been taught to take what is given to you from family and do everything to the max effort. I see my work down at the farm as a learning opportunity for when I get to take over day to day operations in 6 or so years. I supposedly have half an animal from a confirmation gift from my dad but I haven't seen the cash return in that yet. He claims it was one that died but he's really just cheatin me out of my money... lol

I'm not even sure what a decent camera costs anymore. I"m sure if I get a heifer or two bought I"ll have plenty left over for a camera. Y'all can just save up and send up a graduation gift here in a couple years. :lol: I'd be very grateful for anything you sent my way. I can't complain about getting gifts or money, but doesn't that revoke my status as amateur ranch and make me a professional??

I'm finishing up finals today and tomorrow then I'll probably be headed to work come Sunday for a couple weeks til I head out East to see D.C.
I'd better quit jabberin and make it look like I'm working...
Jake

I think that as long as you dont solicit for gifts or accept gifts from sponsors, you should be o k.
Enjoy D C , the family and I went last yr and it is a really neat place! Take a ride on the duck busses, it is a floating bus that takes you on a tour of the city via the Potomac River. Check out the U S Treasury building, it is something else, as is the Halocaust museum. Have a great time, and we went last Memorial Day weekend last yr also, and it was about 100 degrees in the shade. But the cherry trees were in full bloom and it was beautiful! Don't forget the Veterans cemetary, and the wall of names. Impressive to say the least!

If you are really serious about this camera thing Eric or others let me know because I'll get things worked out. Anybody else that wants to join the cause let me know. I won't take anybodys money unless I know for sure I have enough to get the camera bought. I won't misuse anything sent so don't worry about that, extras will just be put into a heifer. I don't know how serious you are but if you really are just pm me or email me.

Jake":qs41l2l8 said:
If you are really serious about this camera thing Eric or others let me know because I'll get things worked out. Anybody else that wants to join the cause let me know. I won't take anybodys money unless I know for sure I have enough to get the camera bought. I won't misuse anything sent so don't worry about that, extras will just be put into a heifer. I don't know how serious you are but if you really are just pm me or email me.

hey, i could use a digital camera, too while ya'll are at it :lol:

txag":25tjw0lm said:
Jake":25tjw0lm said:

Then work a little harder! This offer is for a struggling high school kid who seems to have his head screwed on straight.

eric":3nc282lh said:
txag":3nc282lh said:
Jake":3nc282lh said:

Then work a little harder! This offer is for a struggling high school kid who seems to have his head screwed on straight.

ah, eric, you've managed to p!ss off most of the board with your misinformed political views and now with one post you've added me to your list. & to think, i've even taken up for you a time or two. my post was a joke (notice the smiley face). you have no idea how hard i work or how much money i make. trust me, i don't need or want your charity.

Jake didn't ask for any help either. Doubt if he needs it. But there's always a liberal somewhere who has all the answers and tries to "help" and "fix" everybody and everything – with other people's money – even when unsolicited. This thread is a perfect example of the liberal mentality of finding problems where there are none, dreaming up solutions that require everybody else to pony up, assuming the recipient doesn't have enough sense to take care of their own life and therefore trying to control everything.

Craig-TX

Jake,

Someone told me the other day that you can now get relatively cheap little thow away digital cameras that the pictures are provided to you for computer format. I guess it's like the little throw away 35mm cameras you get a Wal-marts but you get the pictures on a floppy or some kind of little memory stick. Even though I haven't really looked for them, you might want to check that out for a temporary solution to your camera dilema.

txag":2y1xj4g3 said:
eric":2y1xj4g3 said:
txag":2y1xj4g3 said:
Jake":2y1xj4g3 said:

ah, eric, you've managed to p!ss off most of the board with your misinformed political views and now with one post you've added me to your list. & to think, i've even taken up for you a time or two. my post was a joke (notice the smiley face). you have no idea how hard i work or how much money i make. trust me, i don't need or want your charity.

TexasAg....maybe I should of added a smilly face to my respnse also...it wasnt meant malaciously! More tongue in cheek than spitefull, sorry if it sounded differently. As far as my misinformed ploitical views, why is it when someone disagrees with some of these guys they are called names and branded a liberal. Just because I want better for my family than this joke of a administration we have now doesn't make me a bad guy, just someone who is tired of a incompetent man being in charge of something he isn't qualified for.

And what the heck were you doing up at 3 am this morning? You still working nights?

Latest posts