Summer garden 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Jltrent and I typically have great gardens and we both said the gardens last year was not that great. It's like farming do you give up after a tough year? I am not going to raise beans and peas as they are too labor intensive. I rarely buy veggies out of the store this year some will be. Plant the garden and see what you get.
Not a very good year last year so I will try it again. All that bending, walking, breaking beans, getting corn in etc. I think is what makes a garden healthy as everything is work. lol:)

Here was year before lasts garden as I hope I can get this years started off like this.

gTbPMES.jpg

My potatoes turned off pretty good last year as that ben in the root cellar is probably 4 feet deep at the walls.

8qmwIJN.jpg

Last edited:
Not a very good year last year so I will try it again. All that bending, walking, breaking beans, getting corn in etc. I think is what makes a garden healthy as everything is work. lol:)

Here was year before lasts garden as I hope I can get this years started off like this.

gTbPMES.jpg

My potatoes turned off pretty good last year as that ben in the root cellar is probably 4 feet deep at the walls.

8qmwIJN.jpg
JL I have been planted taters and last 2 years out of 50# of seed potatoes i got like 20# of marbles years before i got several hundred lbs of potatoes so this year im not wasting my time but am trying about 5lbs of seed potatoes from the local supply store. I hope you have a better year this year.

Stopped trying to garden a couple years ago. Tire of fighting the weather. Nothing does well under scorching sun being watered from a hose. Didn't do any better when it rained 30 inches by the end of May either. Lots of work gathering and putting up and usually coincides during busy times with other things. So quite frankly, it can be bought a heck of a lot cheaper than I can raise and process it. Most of the things I would raise we can't eat because of blood sugar issues...so I'm done trying. Sadly, it's not rewarding anymore.

Jltrent and I typically have great gardens and we both said the gardens last year was not that great. It's like farming do you give up after a tough year? I am not going to raise beans and peas as they are too labor intensive. I rarely buy veggies out of the store this year some will be. Plant the garden and see what you get.

Good point.

Stopped trying to garden a couple years ago. Tire of fighting the weather. Nothing does well under scorching sun being watered from a hose. Didn't do any better when it rained 30 inches by the end of May either. Lots of work gathering and putting up and usually coincides during busy times with other things. So quite frankly, it can be bought a heck of a lot cheaper than I can raise and process it. Most of the things I would raise we can't eat because of blood sugar issues...so I'm done trying. Sadly, it's not rewarding anymore.

I agree alot can be bought cheaper but when you bite into a fresh mater or fresh baked potato or fries its worth it after one bite for me.. Yea im a fat kid i know

We are 2 months or more from garden planting. There is still 6 inches of frozen ice and snow sitting on the garden. But come late May we will be planting.

I know...ya can't buy a decent tomato. But still it's the blasted weather.
Oh yea I understand that truly you are in a place where weather is really unpredictable and unless you build a hoop house and control the water and atmosphere you're playing Russian roulette

We are debating a garden this year. Didn't do all that wonderful last year. Weeds and bugs took over. Been thinking about some raised beds but what a pain in the 🍑.
Just not sure how I feel about it yet.
What do ya'll think?
What do ya'll plant in your gardens? Ford trucks? 😁🤡
🌽🥔🥕🍆🥑🍅🌶🫑🥒🥬🥦🧄🧅🍄🍓🍉
We'd plant chevy's but, there ain't enough left of em a couple years after they leave the assembly line, to plant!

The ol fords never quit long enough to get into the ground....

Havnt decided if I want a garden this year. Tho I do enjoy those super sweet 100 'maters!

We'd plant chevy's but, there ain't enough left of em a couple years after they leave the assembly line, to plant!

The ol fords never quit long enough to get into the ground....

Havnt decided if I want a garden this year. Tho I do enjoy those super sweet 100 'maters!

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
I would plant Chevys if they would grow more. I'd still put the Fords in the creek. Hey at least you know I'm not going to beat you to deal on a Ford. 🤣 if it came down to you and me your good to go. If you see me driving a Ford I lost my mind.
Now if I won the lottery I may some Fords to park in the creek. 😅🤣😂🤡

Planted our first garden in 30 years last year. Best I ever had. Doing it again, even bigger this year. With no cows to deal with, I have time to garden now.
Used the bed-maker/mulch-driptape layer we bought when growing hemp to drag up 6" high/24" wide raised beds, but didn't lay plastic mulch or driptape. Sprayed middles, and most beds, with ProwlH2O, so weeds were minimal early in the season... pigweed came on later, but wasn't too bad.
Had great crops of brown crowders & cowpeas - seed was short, so I just planted a bag of field peas from the grocery... they did great! This year I'm planting several different cowpea varieties(Whippoorwill, Red Ripper, Iron & Clay, Pinkeye purplehull), and those terrific little white bush butterpeas I grew up with, this year.
The bush/half-runner green beans we planted last year were productive, but not great on taste, so I'm planting 3 different pole bean varieties... Rattlesnake(my Dad's fave), Turkey Craw, and Blue Marbut.
Got several different okra varieties to try... excited about 'Heavy Hitter'... it's a particularly productive selection from Clemson Spineless.
Waltham Butternut & Buttercup winter squash were so prolific, and so well-liked by the family that I'm planting 8 or 10 different 'winter squash' varieties this time.
Best year ever for me growing watermelons... Crimson Sweet, and a GA RattlesnakeXCrimson Sweet cross were great, but Sugar Baby sucked hind tit. Trying several different watermelons this time... Halbert Honey, Wibb, Orangeglo, Leelanau Sweetglo, and 3 'winter/keeper' watermelons(all probably have some citron in their background), including the Russian 'Kholodok'... hope to be eating home-grown watermelons at Christmas!
Have 2 or 3 new tomato varieties and a half-dozen new pepper selections that I'm gonna try this year.
Haven't decided yet whether to buy in sweet potato slips or just make my own... forced from grocery-store sweet taters last year, they were just fine, and really made some big ones.
Will be growing Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa), again this year; the jam&jelly made from the calyces & seedpods was well-received.
Planted some early spring crop rutabagas, mustard, collards & kale yesterday.

Majority of my seed, I get from Sandhill Preservation Center - HUGE selection of heirloom vegetables; most of the rest I got from Baker Creek.

This year I plan to plant peas, soybeans, peppers (paprika and chili), several varieties of tomatoes. I also want to plant a sweet potato. And you definitely need more greens - basil, thyme, parsley, cilantro.

Some plants
Nice looking plants as I have planted 90 broccoli plants and 12 cabbage. I have 24 mixed bell, banana, hot pepper plants as to early to put out yet. I have not bought any tomato plants. I can buy tomatoes it seems cheaper than I can grow them. If I buy several boxes I usually can get them 7-8 dollars a box as I want pay over $10.

Nice looking plants as I have planted 90 broccoli plants and 12 cabbage. I have 24 mixed bell, banana, hot pepper plants as to early to put out yet. I have not bought any tomato plants. I can buy tomatoes it seems cheaper than I can grow them. If I buy several boxes I usually can get them 7-8 dollars a box as I want pay over $10.
I just love fresh tomatoes and disappointed I wanted yellow hopefully they come in. I never plant broccoli in spring it bolts to fast.

Put some corn squash cabbage and onions, asparagus in the ground.. the inspector followed me around. Cut up seed potatoes.

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_170525682.jpg
    IMG_20210410_170525682.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210410_184243485.jpg
    IMG_20210410_184243485.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210410_182927148.jpg
    IMG_20210410_182927148.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210410_162958756.jpg
    IMG_20210410_162958756.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
Is that a 1952 Farmall Cub? It doesn't look like it has ever been re-built. :sneaky:
It hasn't been... But I'm afraid it's due now my PTO keeps popping out of gear think the shaft or a bearing is messed up. I will be splitting the tractor over winter and freeing up the frozen brakes too.