Summer Garden 2018

Help Support CattleToday:

DSC01681.jpg

Small 5"-6" zukes sliced horizontally make excellent sweet "bread & butter" pickles. Most current canning publications include at least one recipe.

Jogeephus":2ny66atc said:
Are those chili de arbols? They are the only kind I grow, the perfect amount of heat. Cayenne used to be good but they've bred all the fire out of them.

ga.prime":jbx1hr07 said:
Are those chili de arbols? They are the only kind I grow, the perfect amount of heat. Cayenne used to be good but they've bred all the fire out of them.

I think a lot of the bulk in the basket are but I couldn't swear to it. I have several different varieties but some must have crossed last year and the seed isn't bearing fruit true to flavor. I ate what was supposed to be and looked to be a sweet banana pepper yesterday and it lit me up pretty good. So I'm not really sure what these are to be honest. All are very hot.

Jogeephus":3pqjre5d said:
ga.prime":3pqjre5d said:

I think a lot of the bulk in the basket are but I couldn't swear to it. I have several different varieties but some must have crossed last year and the seed isn't bearing fruit true to flavor. I ate what was supposed to be and looked to be a sweet banana pepper yesterday and it lit me up pretty good. So I'm not really sure what these are to be honest. All are very hot.
Those have to be chili de arbols, they look too much like them not to be. Chili de arbols are plenty hot and they have some excellent flavor too. Hot peppers are real good at cross pollinating and I've never gotten a good result from it..lost my favorite hot pepper that way. I had been growing a particular hot pepper for several years and saving the seeds from year to year and then one year I planted some tabasco peppers and they crossed with the ones I liked and had been planting for years and that was the end of that, everything the next year was tabasco, which is not a very good pepper comparatively. So, now I just grow chili de arbols and grow the plants myself. This year I did buy a six pack of Hungarian hot wax peppers late in the spring when I saw they had marked all the plants half off. They're looking pretty good right now except they turned out to be bell peppers.

I think they are arbols. Look and taste like it but the cross pollination thing has me a little unsure.
:lol: I feel your pain. I bought a few bundles of "bell peppers" that came out of the surplus of a truck farmer and they all turned out to be banana peppers. Except 2 of them. 2 out of 75 is pretty poor odds don't you think? Can't bytch though cause the price was right.

Jogeephus":2bjeoewf said:
I think they are arbols. Look and taste like it but the cross pollination thing has me a little unsure.
:lol: I feel your pain. I bought a few bundles of "bell peppers" that came out of the surplus of a truck farmer and they all turned out to be banana peppers. Except 2 of them. 2 out of 75 is pretty poor odds don't you think? Can't bytch though cause the price was right.
That salesman sure saw you coming Joe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjoJ2QH3Rkw

You still get to eat your losses tho. Just a different taste and a variation in how much adult beverage needed to wash 'em down with..

Jogeephus":btgpxv1v said:
GP, I think you got your work cut out for you.
Yep, me and my wife canned twice already and she's through with it, so looking at going to the canning plant now. Going to make a couple of calls in the morning and see if I can work something out.

Good looking produce tho GP especially the tomatoes. You can tell the soil of your whole garden is close to 'right' because all the okra is the same height. Mine always looked like each row was planted a week apart...sometimes 1/2 row at a time.
(I used to have a deerhide bottom wooden chair just like the one your bowl of maters is sitting on. Floated off last year and I never found it.)

willow bottom":1y25kwye said:
Looks good! Do you sell any of that or just put it up for yourself?
Thanks, wb. We can or freeze what we want and I give the rest to my children and other friends and relatives. Have sold some in the past, but to be worthwhile that takes a pretty good commitment in time and effort that I would rather invest in other endeavors.

Getting some things together for chow chow and few green tomatoes for winter small bags of peppers for my BBQ spaghetti and regular spaghetti sauce

Son wanted fresh mashed sweet potato so I just at the opportunity to dig up a hill they still need another month or so not disappointed though

Latest posts