Summer Garden 2018

Help Support CattleToday:

Got 7/10 of an inch of rain yesterday and things are looking a little better. My potatoes are coming up slow, beets slow to come up and I have given up on the lettuce. It is starting to hair over so maybe in the next few days can give it a good working. That dang buttercup is everywhere as I use to spray, but just wasted my time. It can't stand heat so when it gets hot it disappears fast.

uv1grG5.jpg

My corn didn't come up worth jack either, sky. Going to set out tomatoes this week. The garden stores around here pressure people into setting out tomatoes too early. Later is better in my experience.

It's a pain GA prime yea I set tomatoes out too early.. slick I was always told plant early enough you have time to replant

Normally, when we plant after Easter all is well. This year we had two cold snaps after. The first one got the cukes. The wife got buckets and bed sheets out over lots of the other stuff and they were fine.

So those potato bugs that appear out of no where arrived and tried to eat my potatoes up so i had to spray them. I don't think they were happy replanted squash few tomatoes peppers need to replant string beans

Potatoes are getting hammer by bugs since it's raining. I planted red and yellow but forgot which is which in the row but one row few bugs other row loaded. I mixed some potato bug spray pretty strong to knock them out before the next monsoon.

What makes summer squash leaves (yellow crookneck) begin to turn yellow? (tomatoes are doing it a little as well..both have been watered plenty. Maybe too much water?

greybeard":2lbx7duz said:
What makes summer squash leaves (yellow crookneck) begin to turn yellow? (tomatoes are doing it a little as well..both have been watered plenty. Maybe too much water?

That would be my guess thats what mine do when watered too much.

picked off a pint sized jar of potato bugs decided to throw them in the chicken coop.... took a minute but once they saw them move it was on they gobbled them up

Wished I could let my chickens free range inside the garden for a while. How do you teach a chicken to not eat the blossoms or veggies?

slick4591":163448nd said:
Wished I could let my chickens free range inside the garden for a while. How do you teach a chicken to not eat the blossoms or veggies?

I was thinking the same thing

Almost ready for picking, limbs on the verge of breaking. I picked one yesterday and let it soften up overnight, not quite sweet enough yet. Two more days should do it.
DSC01592.jpg

I's crazy, Joe. I pulled a hundred or more off it several weeks ago. I have 6x6s and chinaberry logs propped under the main branches.