Summer Garden 2018

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":1sonsuwx said:
bitter sweet garden this year but I'm starting on it.

Same here brother. My garden is getting a little better each year but I know I still have a lot to learn. I focus mainly on salsa ingredients now, I'm hoping to turn out some legendary batches later this year. There are definitely worse hobbies than gardening.
Edited to add; my garden is much smaller than yours. Good luck!

ohiosteve":ixa87fc0 said:
skyhightree1":ixa87fc0 said:

Same here brother. My garden is getting a little better each year but I know I still have a lot to learn. I focus mainly on salsa ingredients now, I'm hoping to turn out some legendary batches later this year. There are definitely worse hobbies than gardening.
I'd like some details on that salsa.

I'd love to be able to make Pace picante the way it was before Campbell's messed it up.

Do you cook yours in the jar?

ohiosteve":1pxcxqfy said:
skyhightree1":1pxcxqfy said:

good luck to you as well post pics love homemade salsa

ohiosteve":1pxcxqfy said:
slick4591":1pxcxqfy said:
The wife is this far along.

That is looking awesome Slick!

I agree :tiphat:

skyhightree1":3jtrb3wj said:
ohiosteve":3jtrb3wj said:
skyhightree1":3jtrb3wj said:

good luck to you as well post pics love homemade salsa

ohiosteve":3jtrb3wj said:
slick4591":3jtrb3wj said:
The wife is this far along.

That is looking awesome Slick!

I agree :tiphat:

Thanks. She's planted all she's going to for now and I hope everyone has good luck with theirs.

HDRider":3fafrwmd said:

I'd love to be able to make Pace picante the way it was before Campbell's messed it up.

I have a big stainless steel pot I like to cook in it usually makes about 20 pint jars. I have a recipe I loosly follow, I usually change the types of peppers and spices a little on each batch. I love very spicy salsa. I realize it's risky not using a proven recipe though if it is not acidic enough it can spoil. I am going to test pH this year. Of course it doesn't matter if you store it in the fridge and eat it within a month. I can give you my recipe if you'd like it.

ohiosteve":269om6h6 said:
HDRider":269om6h6 said:

I have a big stainless steel pot I like to cook in it usually makes about 20 pint jars. I have a recipe I loosly follow, I usually change the types of peppers and spices a little on each batch. I love very spicy salsa. I realize it's risky not using a proven recipe though if it is not acidic enough it can spoil. I am going to test pH this year. Of course it doesn't matter if you store it in the fridge and eat it within a month. I can give you my recipe if you'd like it.
I would. Thanks

I'm getting there.. first year without my grandma watching me work up the garden as she watched from the deck I looked over and could picture her perfectly down to her favorite jacket as I made rows and the tears fell. I am scaling back on somethings I plant this year.

skyhightree1":3w09z5y6 said:
I'm getting there.. first year without my grandma watching me work up the garden as she watched from the deck I looked over and could picture her perfectly down to her favorite jacket as I made rows and the tears fell. I am scaling back on somethings I plant this year.

I think she finally got to help you drive the tractor. Strangest rows I've seen from you..... ;-)

1982vett":nxdkvvml said:
skyhightree1":nxdkvvml said:

I think she finally got to help you drive the tractor. Strangest rows I've seen from you..... ;-)
I thought the same thing. Finally straight rows.

M-5":1digslod said:
1982vett":1digslod said:
skyhightree1":1digslod said:

I thought the same thing. Finally straight rows.

I think y'all may be right lol

Unfortunately no garden for me this year. It will be late June/early July before we are in at the new place. Too late to plant. I am missing it already.

Not really summer garden but the potatoes and onions are about ready for the table. Just planted the summer garden last weekend.

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01443.jpg

Too muddy the last 2 years here but I took a chance and went really small this spring..
About 10 tomato plants, 7-8 hills of cucumbers and planted maybe 2 dozen yellow squash. I really wanted a lot of crowder peas, but wife won't let me use the tiller yet and she can't handle it herself on unbroken ground.
(I'm not supposed to be climbing up on a tractor yet)

Latest posts