Summer forage

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
I know it is getting late, but I have about 5 acres that I just got cleared off next to my pasture. I'm looking for something I could plant and graze later in the summer.

Any reccomendations?

I am looking more for a fast growing annual as this five acres tends to stay dry during the summer, but often floods during the winter.

Where in North Little Rock is your farm? When I got started in the cattle business, I had researched all the breeds and thought about giving Murray Greys a shot, but seedstock was too limited.

Where did you go to get your stock?

J Baxter":1ehyvn05 said:
I am looking more for a fast growing annual as this five acres tends to stay dry during the summer, but often floods during the winter.

Where in North Little Rock is your farm? When I got started in the cattle business, I had researched all the breeds and thought about giving Murray Greys a shot, but seedstock was too limited.

Where did you go to get your stock?

Pearl Millet. Can possibly be grazed in as little as two weeks if all goes well. Tolerates dryer soils. Will not tolerate flooding. Fair protein levels. Requires fertilization for yield potential. Attracts wildlife.

Thanks D.R.,

That's what I've been leaning toward, but I wanted to hear it from someone else as I've never planted it. I just hate to let those extra acres go to waste.

J Baxter

Yes, the pearl millet will be about 2 foot tall in 2 to 3 weeks with just one light shower or plenty of dew.

Latest posts