Summer annual in ky

Help Support CattleToday:

A roller crimper is definitely the way to go on hybrid Sudan. But I've cut a bunch with a drum mower. Just need a good stretch of brutal hot dry weather, not to hard to find here. I don't like beating to much with the rake. Especially after a few days. You will loose all your leaves when they get dry enough to shatter...my procedure is to cut it and forget it for about 3 days then turn it over and give it 2-3 days more. Then bring it together early in the morning when its damp from dew and do it nice and easy. Bale that afternoon or the next.

callmefence said:
A roller crimper is definitely the way to go on hybrid Sudan. But I've cut a bunch with a drum mower. Just need a good stretch of brutal hot dry weather, not to hard to find here. I don't like beating to much with the rake. Especially after a few days. You will loose all your leaves when they get dry enough to shatter...my procedure is to cut it and forget it for about 3 days then turn it over and give it 2-3 days more. Then bring it together early in the morning when its damp from dew and do it nice and easy. Bale that afternoon or the next.

I agree with you if you have the time, and soil texture to do that. Mine never has a chance to get so dry as to have the leaves break up. Mother nature and black clay see to that.

anewcomer said:
ValleyView said:
Would crabgrass be an option? Red River crabgrass seed here in OK is $5lb but Quick n Big may be a better option for haying. I have no firsthand experience in bailing it but have heard drying it down can be an issue. I am planning to broadcast 2/3lbs per acre in the next few weeks mostly for grazing. The below link may or may not be helpful...

https://youtu.be/UYfdtdn3AWQ

Google RL Dalrymple and Noble Foundation. They have forgotten more about crabgrass than the guy in the video knows.

Thanks! The Noble Foundation is great and I believe they developed RR crabgrass. I wish the videos of theirs I have seen on YouTube were longer. They recently developed a summer dormant Fescue that I plan on checking into as well.

You are correct. Contact RL directly at Estel Farms. He used to have a packet of info on crabgrass that was 1/2 inch thick!

BFE said:
Ky cowboy said:
We bale a lot of crabgrass makes great feed. I'd like to find something to drill in behind the winter wheat to help fill the thin spots. Would red clover have time to come up if planted around mid april, and make a 2nd cutting
Yes it would, but I would get it on asap. We normally frost seed red clover in February, but I've seen neighbors put it on their wheat in April and have a solid stand. 8# per acre. Buy a spreader for your 4 wheeler and get after it.

If the wheat is for grain and you're making clover stubble hay, you might look into wet baling and wrapping it, it will make better use of the stubble. Sometimes the cows don't eat the stubble well, but they'll lick it clean if it's wet baled. after this,I drill about 50# of wheat into my clover patches in the fall to have a mixed hay next spring. The wheat and clover don't cancel each other out if you don't drill too thick, plus the wheat makes something in the bare spots in the clover. Normally dry bale this one.

Wheat is for hay. We have some more rain coming in later this week .might try to run over it with 4wheeler monday with red clover. Hope for the best. At least the seed is cheap $89 for 50lbs