Summer and winter forages

Help Support CattleToday:

The Bachelor

Reaction score
Hello,
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm new to this board and raising cattle. The master plan is to work another 10 years and while building my 60 acres into a multi-million dollar enterprise ( or into a "I'll try not to lose as much moneythis year honey.....). I have been hanging around here for a while and finally decided to ask a question.

I keep hearing the words "summer pasture" or "winter pasture" and was wondering do you actually plant cool season grasses on one and warm season grasses on another, or is it best to mix all the grasses together?

Right now I've got bermuda in one pasture and orchard grass and clover in the other. I've also got a couple of more with fescue. I'm trying to stay away from alfalfa right now, because my hay making equipment and ability are about 50 years behind the times. I've heard that alfalfa leaves shatter if not done right.
Thanks for the info in advance,

The Bachelor":kjptvmf8 said:
Hello,
I keep hearing the words "summer pasture" or "winter pasture" and was wondering do you actually plant cool season grasses on one and warm season grasses on another, or is it best to mix all the grasses together?

Well, I was so tired last night I missed sending my comment with this quote. So here is an edit. In any case, the person below answered it the same way I was going to so read his... :lol:

Remember, the rye will dye out in time for the bermuda to come on in warm season. so having both in the same pasture is no problem. When you overseed, you will get better germination if the seed touches soil instead of just broadcasting it. You can slightly rough it with a disc, or some people have implements which punch it in the soil. When it gets up about 4" hit it with some fertilizer.

I overseed my coastal bermuda grass in the fall with Gulf annual ryegrass. The rye will come up and provide the cows something green to eat through the winter and early spring. This is a supplement to the hay we feed in the winter, not a total replacement. In the late spring, the rye grass dies out as the coastal is greening up. The rye grass is an annual so you have to repeat the process every year. Good luck on building your empire.

Nice photo Hawk!

Bachelor, the motto..well..there is somethingthing known as a better half!

She's a Bachelor too. I wanted to name my kids Eli (short for Eligible) or if it was a girl Anita. She thought the joke went far enough with her getting tagged with my last name :D

winter pastue here is fescue cause it stays green in winter & cows do better on it then. some fertilize it in august after one or two cuttings of hay, then stockpile it for winter.

Latest posts