Sulphur Blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Kate

Reaction score
Wondering if any of you use sulphur blocks for your calf scours. We were having alot of scours with our calfs and a guy from Texas told us to but out sulphur blocks and we have not had any more problems with scours. We only use them in the winter time, seems thats when our problems are with scours. Also he recommended we put a few chunks of sulphur around our pond and it would keep the moss off. Will try that this spring. He said not too much around the pond or it would kill the fish.

Most sulphur blocks don't have much more sulphur in them than regular trace mineral blcoks. Having said that, there are sulphur based drugs that are antibiotics that will help with bacterial scours. I don't know if the sulphur blocks have enough in them to help, but I don't use them, and I think there are better ways to treat scours. The best way is to figure out why they are so much of a problem in winter and learn to prevent/avoid them.

I agree with you but it works for us. Seems like everytime the weather changed, cold one day, warm the next, we would get an outbreak of scours. Now with the sulphur blocks we do not have this problem. Just did not know if anyone else used them or not. Around here alot of us use them.

The sulphur may help, but it's hard to say. It may be the salt itself. When you lose a lot of water, you lost nutrients as well, salt in particular. This should increase salt intake, and increased salt intake mean increased amount of water retention. Like I say, the sulphur may be helping as well, but it's hard to say for sure.

Where do you get your sulphur blocks from? Co-op, TSC, or another supplier?

As was stated earlier, I would learn more about what is causing the problem and change that. I would also change from those sulphur blocks and get a quality loose mineral. Best to my memory, sulphur will prevent the cattle from utilizing what copper may be available, and I guarantee they are not getting enough copper now if you are feeding sulphur blocks.

CSM

Latest posts