Sulfer Salt Blocks?

Help Support CattleToday:

It's relatively to formulate a mineral to meet requirements. Getting cattle to eat it is when you start dealing with many variables. I've seen some cattle consume mineral (2-4 oz), all that had to be done was to make it available. Other ranches may have to do things to encourage consumption....keep mineral close to water or loafing areas, maybe doctor the mineral with molasses, cottonseed meal, or something else to help palatability. Best thing to do is to buy a mineral that is formulated for your region and for the stage of growth the grass is in. It helps greatly if the mineral is formulated to be really palatable to start with. But whatever, buy a mineral with good nutrient specifications that has good, consistent intake.

dun":2g97jc99 said:
TR":2g97jc99 said:
This has been a most interesting thread. However, I can't get mine to eat minerals to save my life....I don't care if I painted the stuff pink with purple polkadots and did a "consumption dance", they won't eat minerals.....I put loose minerals out, they won't eat them, I get a new bag with a new mineral formula in it and put it out, they won't eat them, I get a new bag of minerals mixed with salt, they won't eat it, I get another bag of minerals mixed with molassas, they wont eat it...........and while they're very plump and sassy, I do worry about reproduction ability without them.....any suggestions?

What else are they eating besides salt and hay/forage?

dun

I've been keeping range meal with a salt limiter in it out for them 24/7, and feed 20% cubes twice a week. Up until about 2 weeks ago, they were going through 50 lbs a day of the range meal. Now they don't even want it at all....guess all the salt has gone to the bottom of the trough. No one is losing condition, and the lowest BCS is about a 5.5, top is about an 8, but I'm a bit concerned about their lack of mineral intake

Cattle will seek salt, but up to a point. Your range meal is limited with salt and they are probably getting all the salt they want with the range meal and so they won't eat the mineral. A couple of other things....usually have lower mineral consumption when there are protein supplements available-they are getting some mineral nutrition from them so won't eat as much mineral. Also, where are you at in SC TX (how far from the coast). Coastal areas usually have more salt in the grasses and mineral formulations should take this into account.

My .02

rk

rk":nmz8kthj said:
Cattle will seek salt, but up to a point. Your range meal is limited with salt and they are probably getting all the salt they want with the range meal and so they won't eat the mineral. A couple of other things....usually have lower mineral consumption when there are protein supplements available-they are getting some mineral nutrition from them so won't eat as much mineral. Also, where are you at in SC TX (how far from the coast). Coastal areas usually have more salt in the grasses and mineral formulations should take this into account.

My .02

rk

Thanks rk. I figured from this thread that the salt in the range meal was probably doing that, but then I thought that this was the first year that I've gone to range meal for them. Before they either had pasture or coastal hay 24/7 and breeders cubes 2 times a week. I didn't start feeding the range meal until this summer and they didn't eat minerals before the range meal went out either. So, I top dressed some of the range meal a few days ago with a coffee can of minerals to see if I could psych them into eating it, and no go....they've left the range meal in the trough for the past week or so, minerals, salt and all.......I'm in the Brenham area, so maybe 110 miles or so from the nearest coast?

I'm fixinta pick up a ton of cotton seed/corn grower formula tomorrow. I don't think this stuff has a salt limiter in it so I'll put out some more minerals and salt (again!) and see if that does it......or should I try the dried molassas and minerals as well? What ratio would you mix it at? Knowing my luck, they won't even eat the new ration......think maybe they need to be a little more hungry? :roll:

That's the problem I've always had with using salt-limited meals---mineral consumptions falls off to the point that you end up having to mix minerals with your meal to get adequate consumption.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind who is set in their ways, just to offer another idea to the ones who haven't decided yet. Everyone should do what works for them. I use a mineral that contains 12% salt, 12% Calcium and 12% Phosphorous. Certain times of the year when they crave additional salt, I have to mix loose salt with my minerals to control consumption. I try to keep my mineral consumption at an average of about one pound per cow per week. More during calving/breeding season, less when they're dried off and loafing.

In my opinion, feeding salt in addition to your mineral is a bad idea, even if you are getting proper mineral consumption on average. It's a bad idea because you don't really know what each individual is getting. Some cows might be eating all salt, while some are consuming twice as much mineral. Your per head average is right, but some cows aren't getting any mineral, while others are wasting mineral, therefore wasting money.

Just like people at a buffet, cows also have different tastes and cravings, with salt being the only constant. The only way that I've found to be sure that every cow gets what she needs is to take that choice away from her. I can be sure that every cow will lick the mineral to get the salt she craves, because I've already made that decision for her.

johndeerefarmer":2wjlhdq2 said:
Crowderfarms":2wjlhdq2 said:
The old timers swear that sulfer blocks keep pink eye from occuring.

Old timers in Texas used them to keep (supposedly) ticks and fleas off of the cattle.
I have been using yellow sulfur salt blocks for the past month and my fly problem has been reduced .

Workinonit Farm":djlg896s said:
Well.....FWIW,I know if I sprinkle Sulfur powder on the cuffs of my pants and on my boots, I don't get chiggers chewing me up.

Katherine
True but they would be coming in direct contact with the sulfur. Friend says drinking sulfur water keeps ticks etc. off him. :shock:

TexasBred":10oi0hw3 said:
Workinonit Farm":10oi0hw3 said:
Well.....FWIW,I know if I sprinkle Sulfur powder on the cuffs of my pants and on my boots, I don't get chiggers chewing me up.

Katherine
True but they would be coming in direct contact with the sulfur. Friend says drinking sulfur water keeps ticks etc. off him. :shock:

I'd bet he is one fartin sonofagun and they don't smell like Roses.

Texan":2lgpyux5 said:
That's the problem I've always had with using salt-limited meals---mineral consumptions falls off to the point that you end up having to mix minerals with your meal to get adequate consumption.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind who is set in their ways, just to offer another idea to the ones who haven't decided yet. Everyone should do what works for them. I use a mineral that contains 12% salt, 12% Calcium and 12% Phosphorous. Certain times of the year when they crave additional salt, I have to mix loose salt with my minerals to control consumption. I try to keep my mineral consumption at an average of about one pound per cow per week. More during calving/breeding season, less when they're dried off and loafing.

In my opinion, feeding salt in addition to your mineral is a bad idea, even if you are getting proper mineral consumption on average. It's a bad idea because you don't really know what each individual is getting. Some cows might be eating all salt, while some are consuming twice as much mineral. Your per head average is right, but some cows aren't getting any mineral, while others are wasting mineral, therefore wasting money.

Just like people at a buffet, cows also have different tastes and cravings, with salt being the only constant. The only way that I've found to be sure that every cow gets what she needs is to take that choice away from her. I can be sure that every cow will lick the mineral to get the salt she craves, because I've already made that decision for her.
In effect you have decided to use a $30 a bag product to furnish the salt needs of a cow instead of a $5 bag of plain old stock salt. :roll:

Those of you in Tennessee...The TN Farmer' Co-op makes the best cattle mineral that I have found. The Supreme or the Ultimate name is tops. Check it out.... It supplies all the minerals your cows need and vitamins too. Chelated and organic ingredients so that it is digested, and not passed through.

http://www.ourcoop.com/productcatalog/Main/PdfViewer.aspx?el=67320

In reference to sulfur blocks, I was having fly problems on my cattle and then I heard that these blocks work to keep the flys away, well I tried them and I really did see the difference. My heifers had flys all over their backs and now all I see is a few flys, a lot better than before. I also have mineral blocks out for them.

I keep sulfur blocks out at all times in addition to loose minerals. My cows seem to really like them. I have always heard that they help cattle shed their winter hair in the springtime, and I believe that they help keep flies off too.

Latest posts