Sulfer Blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

kilroy60

Reaction score
Can someone tell me about sulfer blocks for cattle? Tractor supply has them and a friend of mine says his cattle are really going through these blocks. I'm just curious to know what else other than sulfer and salt these blocks have and the importance of these blocks (if any). We keep good mineral out but was just wondering if there was something I'm missing.
Thanks,

I have always been told the sulfur blocks will help cows shed off the old hair and it seems to work when I've tried them. Sulfur is a drug so I don't know how much should be feed.

Probably more sulfer blocks fed around here than loose mineral especially during fly season. It depends really on who's advise you want to follow. Old-timers who have been making a living off cattle all their lives or the university studies that say it's no good.

callmefence":1ontlh0c said:
Probably more sulfer blocks fed around here than loose mineral especially during fly season. It depends really on who's advise you want to follow. Old-timers who have been making a living off cattle all their lives or the university studies that say it's no good.
Could you explain why your feeding them. I fed them to help the cows shed hair.

kd4au":21swhn1a said:
callmefence":21swhn1a said:

I've heard of the hair shedding thing but the primary reason their fed here is parasite particularly fly control. Also it's often fed when supplemental urea is being fed.
That's all I can give is the reason, I can't give the science.

callmefence":2sr4bnm7 said:
kd4au":2sr4bnm7 said:
callmefence":2sr4bnm7 said:

I've heard of the hair shedding thing but the primary reason their fed here is parasite particularly fly control. Also it's often fed when supplemental urea is being fed.
That's all I can give is the reason, I can't give the science.
Thanks . Never heard of it helping control flies.

kd4au"Thanks . Never heard of it helping control flies.[/quote said:
Neighbor says it stops horse flies. He uses them and has more horse flies then I do.

I am in agreement with Callmefence, the old timers around here swore by them and a lot are still sold. They say they keep down the flies. I always say that I am willing to learn and try new things but keep some things traditional too, I still put out Sulphur blocks during the summer :hide: . All other times of the year and also in addition to the Sulphur blocks I feed a loose chelated mineral, which costs about $24 per bag. I honestly can't say if the blocks help or not, some years I think maybe so, and then this year, not at all.

Ky hills":110p5vh8 said:
I am in agreement with Callmefence, the old timers around here swore by them and a lot are still sold. They say they keep down the flies. I always say that I am willing to learn and try new things but keep some things traditional too, I still put out Sulphur blocks during the summer :hide: . All other times of the year and also in addition to the Sulphur blocks I feed a loose chelated mineral, which costs about $24 per bag. I honestly can't say if the blocks help or not, some years I think maybe so, and then this year, not at all.

Are horseflies bad there? Awful this year. I have seen as many as 6 on one cow.

Sulfur salt blocks supply a small sulfur source for the cow........let's not make any claims past this as most are the "old wives tale" types.

Thanks for the comments. Think I'll just leave them alone for now.

TennesseeTuxedo":1wbgyxqk said:
I'll tell you this much, it prevents rheumatoid arthritis. Not a single case since we started putting out sulfur blocks.
Probably a good elephant repellent too

Sulfur raises vitamin d levels it zinc and high good fat. Vitamin d level is the level of cholesterol sulfate or rate cells regenerate at least in humans. Can't imagine why pastures become deficient but you are right about the arthritis because all these older men who loose their knee joints do so because the body pulls sulfur when deficient from the cartledge. Many people I know take organic sulfur daily because RO water does not have enough. I noticed that some cattle feed use saw dust which also has sulfur plus many trace minerals.

Bright Raven":3l3bsm01 said:
Ky hills":3l3bsm01 said:

Horseflies have been worse here this year than any year I can remember.. I saw 6 in a day for a couple days in a row :lol:
Usually I only see 6 in a year.

Nesikep":f7lksscw said:
Bright Raven":f7lksscw said:
Ky hills":f7lksscw said:

Horseflies have been worse here this year than any year I can remember.. I saw 6 in a day for a couple days in a row :lol:
Usually I only see 6 in a year.

Haven't counted them here, but have seen quite a few, although I the most I have ever seen on a cow was one day last summer.

TennesseeTuxedo":1amm33gt said:
I'll tell you this much, it prevents rheumatoid arthritis. Not a single case since we started putting out sulfur blocks.

I have a couple slow cows, but I thought it was just the Hereford breeding.

How old are these arthritic cows?

Sulfur also inhibits the absorption of Selenium. That would be very detrimental around here. If you are feeding good loose mineral, you should not need to feed anything else.
I know the "trace mineral" salt blocks are worthless. A cow could eat a whole block in one day and still not get the trace minerals she needed for that one day.

Latest posts