Sulfates vs. Oxides

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
Ok, I did a search on the topic. Just fishing for other openions.

Ive priced 2 chealated minerals. One is a little over $100 a ton more than the other. Don't have a tag for them right now. The major difference over the last several years is one runs more sulfates, and the other oxides. With this being Chealated does that kinda "override" the need for using sulfates instead of oxides? I really do think just before calving it pays to be on a good program, but I also would rather drive a chevy than a cadalac if you get my drift. Chealates are the more non-esentials (peanut butter or jelly) where the stuff that comes from sulfates and oxides is the bread.

I do think Ill stay with the chealated and sulfates, but just fishing for openions.

Thanks.

It is my understanding that chealated minerals are mineral compounds bound to amino acids. The amino acids are quickly and efficiently absorbed into the bloodstream bringing the mineral compounds with them. Thus getting more mineral in the bloodstream quicker. Once in the bloodstream the mineral still needs to be metabolized and the sulfate form is much more metabolizible than the oxide form, and more expensive. Hence the price difference. My experience has been that healthy cattle on a good year round, balanced mineral program with a lot of sulfates will see little benefit from chealated minerals. However, cattle that are being pushed for top production (such as show cattle, donor cows, feedlot, semen collection, etc.) and cattle that are experiencing mineral deficiencies or problems will benefit greatly from chealated minerals. More so with sulfates than oxides.

To use your analogy, IMO, chealated minerals with oxides is like putting a Cadillac body on a Chevy and still call it a Cadillac only cheaper. It may look like a Cadillac but its guts are a Chevy.

Amo":3vhiway9 said:
Ok, I did a search on the topic. Just fishing for other openions.

Ive priced 2 chealated minerals. One is a little over $100 a ton more than the other. Don't have a tag for them right now. The major difference over the last several years is one runs more sulfates, and the other oxides. With this being Chealated does that kinda "override" the need for using sulfates instead of oxides? I really do think just before calving it pays to be on a good program, but I also would rather drive a chevy than a cadalac if you get my drift. Chealates are the more non-esentials (peanut butter or jelly) where the stuff that comes from sulfates and oxides is the bread.

I do think Ill stay with the chealated and sulfates, but just fishing for openions.

Thanks.

Given the option and even at $2.50 per bag more I'd always choose the mineral with the chelates. Higher bioavailability than the oxides or sulfates and as such the mineral need not be so highly fortified. If an animal is able to utilize 10% of the oxides and 90% of the same trace mineral in chelated form there would be no need to put that particular mineral into the mix at such a high inclusion rate as with oxides and sulfates. Most minerals will always meet the guarantees on the tag... the only catch is that they don't tell you that 90% of some of those minerals end up on the ground and as much as 65% of the others do the same so $2.50 extra per bag may be a real bargain. Makes it mighty hard on the kidneys and liver getting rid of the stuff too. Rather than compare it to a car compare it to a stud horse. He delivers the goods while the gelding simply pees and cost you money.

Thanks both of ya. I did like the cadalic analagy. Thats kinda what confused me. Why if your making a kick butt mineral with chelates would you fill the rest with oxides. Unless oxides are really over rated. Several mineral dealers around here really push amio acids, and bash oxides. The search I did compared chealates and amino acids vs. sulfates and oxides.

I kinda agree with ya Mid South guy. What Ive been doing is bout a month before calving (bout now) to 30 days breeding I go chealates. Then just a good mineral. I know its kinda spendy. Like one guy told me....mineral is like insurance. If you like good coverage and don't mind the higher premium go for it. If your willing to ride the law of averages and save some money then you proably can get by one just a liability policy. I think Im going to run chealates untill I go to grass. That will save some $, get the cows cycling good, and fresh green grass (its snowing now so Im a little more confident) should have plenty of "goodie" in it. For me consumption is usually farily low with green grass or good hay. So it costs a lot per bag, but not much a day. Of course it still costs.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Oxides are grossly overrated. 90% of them go right thru the animal. Some of the better benefits from chelates take months to develop fully so a part time regimen is pretty worthless..But since you want to run the law of averages and save money why feed mineral at all??

Guess I didn't know that it took a while for chealates to "kick in" so to speak. What Ive done for the last 6 years is to use a good chealated mineral like I stated. Get a good healthy calf, and get them cycling (I know that depends more on BCS but minerals are important too I think). Then I use basicly the same mineral mix except without the chealates for the rest of the summer. Basicly just use chealates for conception. IDK, they say our grass and water has a lot of minerals to it, so maybe thats how I get away with my plan. You listen to the extension agents they say we really don't need much most of the year. I tried it, and didn't like it.

What stuff in the chealates takes a while to "kick in"?

Latest posts