Suicide in Agriclutural

Help Support CattleToday:

About 90 percent of people who commit suicide have a mental illness at the time of their death with depression being the top risk factor. If you are feeling depressed please seek help as it is very treatable. A lot of things trigger depression and can cause suicidal thoughts: ........ being psychotic....... impulsive behavior........needing help........philosophical desire to die........made a mistake...etc.... etc. Everybody is different and what might push one over the edge want another. A lot about farming can be depressing as a lot of proud independent people and accepting failure sometimes can be overwhelming and not acceptable in their mind.

jltrent":2t21l2pb said:
A lot of things trigger depression and can cause suicidal thoughts: ........ being psychotic....... impulsive behavior........needing help........philosophical desire to die........made a mistake...etc.... etc.

Owning cow also.

jehosofat":1yfz5pvm said:
jltrent":1yfz5pvm said:
A lot of things trigger depression and can cause suicidal thoughts: ........ being psychotic....... impulsive behavior........needing help........philosophical desire to die........made a mistake...etc.... etc.

Owning cow also.
Are you depressed?

jltrent":8ybbq5fp said:
jehosofat":8ybbq5fp said:
jltrent":8ybbq5fp said:

Owning cow also.
Are you depressed?

Depends on which thread I'm reading. :lol:

Lost my grandfather to suicide back in February. 85 years old. Great health as far as anyone knew. Never spent a night in the hospital in his entire life. Leaves a family with a lot of unanswered questions. I personally think it was frustration coupled with fear of not being able to take care of himself later down the road. His mother had Alzheimer's before her death. Most people contemplating suicide won't heed this advice but, as jtrent said, if you're feeling depressed, ask for help. I guarantee that someone, somewhere, wants you to stick around.

JMJ Farms":3hbao9gw said:
Most people contemplating suicide won't heed this advice but, as jtrent said, if you're feeling depressed, ask for help. I guarantee that someone, somewhere, wants you to stick around.
The emotional devastation suicide can have on survivors can be terrible.
It is not over and done with when the trigger is pulled.
The person committing suicide is trying to escape something but they don't think about or realize what they are doing to the ones left behind.

JMJ Farms":y0o0r9us said:
Lost my grandfather to suicide back in February. 85 years old. Great health as far as anyone knew. Never spent a night in the hospital in his entire life. Leaves a family with a lot of unanswered questions. I personally think it was frustration coupled with fear of not being able to take care of himself later down the road. His mother had Alzheimer's before her death. Most people contemplating suicide won't heed this advice but, as jtrent said, if you're feeling depressed, ask for help. I guarantee that someone, somewhere, wants you to stick around.

Sorry to hear this JMJ we had the same thing happen this year to some folks we know. The Grandfather was around the same age as yours and as far as anyone knew in good health. Definitely makes you wonder why. As you said somebody wants you around and will help you out. Problems are usually only temporary.

sim.-ang.king":in44spvg said:
Are your mental faculties ok, hurley?
You seem to be repeating yourself.
:lol:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=115564

For my age my mental facilities are okay. The reason I posted this is to highlight the fact that there is help out there and it is not a weakness to ask for it. If one person reaches out because of my posting then I have accomplished what I set out to do.

Some folks have to have someone to bully and call out to satisfy their inadequacy in life. If this fits any of you as for as trying to bring some one down to your level then so be it.
Yes I have known people that have taken their own life in my area. Some old and some young. Some health problems. Some that had promising careers but messed up and could not face the idea of rejection and failure. Sucide seems to run in some families that I have known.

My daughter's elementary school bus driver killed herself on memorial day. Had lost her husband and a son in the past few years and was depressed. Her doctor switched her medication a week before it happened. One of the nicest ladies you could imagine. Really sad deal.

True Grit Farms":ez0m5sls said:
It would be so much easier if suicide was legal.

If you are posting about assisted suicide which some states and other countries have then I will agree with you. I watched a man with ALS go to Denmark or one of the countries over there that have assisted suicide. Very eye opening there was counseling to make sure that the person understood. They doctor that was to administer the drugs came and talked through everything about the procedure with the man and his wife and what to expect. He gave them his phone number and told them to call. The man was down to the point that he could take a stylus in his mouth and type out a message. He told his wife that tonight is the time. She and he enjoyed one of their favorite meals together. The doctor showed up and the man was in bed with his pajamas own. He closed his eyes as the drugs entered his system. Breathed several deep breaths and then sighed and he was gone. Pretty peaceable it appeared.

Latest posts