Suicide in Agriclutural

Help Support CattleToday:

A lot of stress on a farmer,constantly worrying,stress, rushing when they have a window of opportunity ,heart rate at a peak..trouble sleeping... breaks them down...physically, mentally.

There was young 54 year old pipeline welder that just finished a job. Took a shotgun and shot himself in the face and died. No one knows why. Work won't kill you but you might kill yourself because of work. I suspect he was working long hours and just wore out a person can just go so far.

I love the mayhem, stress, and physical taxing work of farming. Guess some aren't cut out for it.
Debt is probably what pushes most over the edge.

sim.-ang.king":ndaknby2 said:
I love the mayhem, stress, and physical taxing work of farming. Guess some aren't cut out for it.

I can't imagine the feeling of losing the family farm when you're the 3rd, 4th or 5th generation and you've "failed." I know that there are a lot of outside factors that can cause failure in agriculture, but it always feels like it's your fault no matter what.

Bestoutwest":i6umvnok said:
sim.-ang.king":i6umvnok said:

I can't imagine the feeling of losing the family farm when you're the 3rd, 4th or 5th generation and you've "failed." I know that there are a lot of outside factors that can cause failure in agriculture, but it always feels like it's your fault no matter what.

I can't imagine carrying debt past 62.

Farming and Ranching are rough gigs for people to get into. It seems like they operate in the red for several generations. There's only so much a man can do. Mounting Debt and Failure can really weigh on a person. Some of these guys don't have any idea what they'd do in life without the Farm or Ranch.

Prepare for the down times.......3 years ago when cattle prices were through the roof..folks started buying em like the were not gonna make anymore..then the prices tanked as they always will. and instead of hanging on to em to recoup over time, they started selling at a loss..

True Grit Farms":2i48kc01 said:
Bestoutwest":2i48kc01 said:
sim.-ang.king":2i48kc01 said:

I can't imagine carrying debt past 62.

I hear ya. I can only imagine carrying debt at that age to keep some cash liquid in the case of an emergency.

I'd get a line of credit rather than carry debt to have cash.. I have a pretty much dormant 20K line of credit and Visa keeps upping my limit (15K)...

sim.-ang.king":11zth613 said:

You are still a young man...

Latest posts