Suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou":1xbkbouc said:
The reason I like heat tolerance is because we have primarily black cattle and the heat does take a toll on them worse than the other colored cattle that we do have. Even this summer during the drought the black ones would be panting and breathing heavier than the others and neither of us liked to see that. I do realize that this summer was hotter than usual, but what is the future? If it only gets hotter, I don't want a bigger mortality rate just because of the heat. Just my thoughts.

I need to get out more. I don't see any cows of any color panting except maybe around a dairy barn and I know we're just as hot as your area.

My thinking is its not so much the color of the cow, it's were the cow comes from. Cows born and bred in the south will work in the south. The only reason's for not having black cows is the flies, and you don't like black. There's no doubt in my mind that black cows attract more flies, thats their only down fall here that I see.

We have British White cattle and have had the mixed commerical herd for years. The British White is the most EASY, cattle we have ever had. LOVE THE BREED ! Easy on your pastures, easy to work, easy for sure to calve and gain weight just looking at grass. The meat is out of this world !! We have not yet had to take any to market. They sell before weaning time. I get more bottle calves off my Angus mixed but have never had to take a British calf yet. They may not bring as much at the sale barn but in the long run the maintanence on this breed is allot less in the long run. I just love to work around them. Do not confuse the British White with the British White Park..The Park breed is like a long horn and this is where the buyers are affraid. They just need to start getting used to the breed because the breeders are growing in huge numbers.

Latest posts