Suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for Angus bulls to AI heifers to in the spring. We've got a few straws of PFred, but it looks like someone else is going to want them. I liked PFred bulls, but the heifers didn't make me very happy, so I'd like to look at something else. Has anyone used a bull they especially like? We use mostly ABS bulls, but can make GENEX work. The heifers are by Krugerrand of Donamere, Midland and one New Design 036. Thanks.....

Genex has a bando son that have used to make good baldie replacements with bando 9074. We then breed those to nbar prime time. Then those get bred back to P Hereford bulls. Both offer light bw and good growth.

Jeff

I was going to suggest Kruggerand or New Design but..haha. I like Blue Moon, and if you are breeding heifers, he has a really high calving ease rating (Genex). I have used WAR Hall of Fame and had some great calves. He is also from Genex.

baxter78":2501pfca said:
ollie?":2501pfca said:
In Focus is easy calving and sires nice (or my type) calves.

He does sire fairly good calves but they are no where near as beefy as Sav Final Answer's calves.
You couldn't tell Final Answer calves from In Focus calves if all the Final Answer calves had bells around their neck.

I've seen a few Final Answer calves and they looked good. I have some Prime Star calves from heifers and they look good also, not as much frame as Final Answer but very blocky. Also maybe look at Harb Pendleton. CED of 14 and WW of 100

These comments all sound very seductive! 'Final Answer' has a Phenotype that is very hard to beat. But - has "Mature Adult Size" of their calves been taken into consideration as yet? To have an Angus Bull of today give the phenotypical appearance that "Final Answer' displays in his picture is almost unheard of! And, of course, one must determine whether one's breeding plans call for Maternal genetics or Terminal genetics.

Or Both!

DOC HARRIS

I'd have a hard time selecting away from ALC Big Eye! He's from select sires, the best calves I had from heifers were from him. I think he has been proven free of CCS, maybe someone could clarify that?
He's gonna do a lot of things very well!

Sizmic

ollie?":ou03obxo said:
baxter78":ou03obxo said:
ollie?":ou03obxo said:
In Focus is easy calving and sires nice (or my type) calves.

He does sire fairly good calves but they are no where near as beefy as Sav Final Answer's calves.
You couldn't tell Final Answer calves from In Focus calves if all the Final Answer calves had bells around their neck.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

He does sire fairly good calves but they are no where near as beefy as Sav Final Answer's calves.[/quote]
You couldn't tell Final Answer calves from In Focus calves if all the Final Answer calves had bells around their neck.[/quote]

I could tell em apart. The final answer calves are alot framier.[/quote]I thought you said they were more beefier

We're going to wait until spring to breed these fall born heifers so we've got time to do our research. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Latest posts