Suggestions please

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
We had a calf out of a first calf heifer those morning that is not doing well. She was weak and lethargic and would not get up. We gave her colostrum, then a little electrolytes. We just now gave her more colostrum but she is still not getting up and trembles a lot. Any ideas, anyone??

Give her shot of BoSe. May not help but I've been really surprised at what that jolt of selenium can do for a weakish calf.

dun":1uotvogn said:
Give her shot of BoSe. May not help but I've been really surprised at what that jolt of selenium can do for a weakish calf.
X2 Every calf born here gets selenium automatically.

Well, she made it through the night and swigged down a bottle this morning. We didn't have BoSe but will get some today but I did have a bottle of ephedrine and after reading the insert, I gave her a small shot. It said it could be used for a depressive state and it did seem to help bring her around. Thanks Dun and BCG.

I read on another forum, from multiple people, that a dose of instant coffee in the bottle can make a world of difference as far as getting them up and going. Luckily I have no experience, so this is just hearsay. But it seemed like a lot of people were convinced it helped.

M.Magis":91bvatk9 said:
I read on another forum, from multiple people, that a dose of instant coffee in the bottle can make a world of difference as far as getting them up and going. Luckily I have no experience, so this is just hearsay. But it seemed like a lot of people were convinced it helped.
Probably would get a similar effect as giving Epinephrine. Increased heart rate, dilated blood vessels ect.. I personally would not use either on a newborn calf. The calf needs nutrition and electrolytes, not central nervous system stimulation.

Well, if it waked them up enough to get nursing, then I guess it does what it needs to do... Never used it here though.

I know an old rancher (87 when I saw him working 150 cows) who'd have his flask of whiskey,.. when it was freezing cold in Feb and had a sluggish calf, he'd give it a shot (and certainly take one himself).. It would cough and sputter and seemed to wake them up... I've heard of giving them liniment too...

A vit A-D-E shot with selenium is the first thing I give weak calves.. .I don't give it to those that seem plenty strong though.