Suggestions please.....

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
Our youngest daughter is scrambling at our county fair. Sadly, not as many kids scramble anymore, so chances are everyone who participates will get a heifer certificate.

This will be her second heifer. She has a Braunvieh and this year she wants a breed that is slick. It is just too difficult for us to grow hair here. She is leaning towards Brahman, however we are open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Personally I would go with a gert, brangus, or simbrah. They stand a way better chance at winning if the show is not broke down by breeds.

aussie_cowgirl":21q9uium said:
What about something like a Blonde or one of the other slick euro breeds? Romagnola maybe?

Those breeds aren't sanctioned breeds in the Texas Club Calf Association. Also we break down by American, British and Exotics.

Cowboy 2.0":26c1ylbu said:
aussie_cowgirl":26c1ylbu said:
What about something like a Blonde or one of the other slick euro breeds? Romagnola maybe?

Those breeds aren't sanctioned breeds in the Texas Club Calf Association. Also we break down by American, British and Exotics.

Oh ok. Well... I'm out of suggestions lol.

aussie_cowgirl":xqar83ct said:
Cowboy 2.0":xqar83ct said:
aussie_cowgirl":xqar83ct said:

Oh ok. Well... I'm out of suggestions lol.

If it helps you out on your suggestions our american, or slick breeds are brahmans, brangus, santa gertrudis, and simbrahs.

Cowboy 2.0":1c0o69ho said:
aussie_cowgirl":1c0o69ho said:

So do Charolais, Simmental, Limousin etc come under exotic?

Killala":2ukuol49 said:
Cowboy 2.0":2ukuol49 said:
aussie_cowgirl":2ukuol49 said:

So do Charolais, Simmental, Limousin etc come under exotic?

Yes and Angus, Hereford, Polled Herefords, and Shorties are the brit breeds.

If you want to show slick calves in Texas, it will have to be something with Brahman influence. Simbrah, Gert, Brangus or Beefmaster. Personally I would go with Simbrah. There's a really good sale coming up in Giddings the end of October where there will be a great group of heifers.

I hate to see the scramble program disappear because of low participation! It was a great program when it was started. How disappointing that kids doing beef projects is declining as quickly as it is! It seems to be happening everywhere. I don't know if it's because they don't want to work that hard, or if it's financial. Or a combination of both!

Latest posts