Suggestions on 3 point hitch tillers

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Wanting to increase our gardening and thought about getting a 3 point hitch tiller. I don't want to sink a fortune in one, seen a well worn one sell at a auction a couple weeks ago for $1600. You can buy the King Kutters for a little more new. Local dealer has some others in that price range but who knows maybe King Kutter makes them. Suggestions? Looking a 6 footers for my 60 hp tractor.

Steer clear of the king kutter junk. One think to look for is a slip clutch instead of a shear bolt.

When I was looking at them a couple years ago, most of the advice I got was to find a cheap, used 6 or 7' disk (Ha! :roll: - good luck with that!) and just use my walk-behind rear-tine tiller. A 3-point is still on my want list.

2 Years ago I bought a new John deere 65" tiller for approximately $2600. It was cheaper than the frontier. I love it.

My thought process was a used one was probably 1/2 way through its useful life and costs more than 1/2 of the new price. I also intend to keep mine for a long time. I know I can always purchase John Deere parts. I think buying John Deere or other stable companies equipment will pay off in the long run.

Anyone seen the Hawkline brand? Local place sells them along with Tarter. All the John Deere says they have is the Frontier. Landpride is about $2600 and the others are about $1700. This would be limited usage.

I found some Landpride reverse tine tillers for $2200. Is the reverse tine much better.

Dun, most of the comments on the web tractor forums are positive on KingKutter and they do have a slip clutch.

Having a hard time spending that much for the amount of usage, discs just don't seem to work good on small areas, too much turning and had to keep your speed up.

I think the reverse tine is the only way to go. I had a 5 ' Land Pride reverse tine a few years ago, and ran it with a 26 hp Kubota. It stood up real well for quite a bit of use (and some mis-use).

tom4018":54x9vg03 said:
I found some Landpride reverse tine tillers for $2200. Is the reverse tine much better.

Dun, most of the comments on the web tractor forums are positive on KingKutter and they do have a slip clutch.

Having a hard time spending that much for the amount of usage, discs just don't seem to work good on small areas, too much turning and had to keep your speed up.
I have a tiller and a 3 point disc. Same amount of turning. You have to keep the RPM up on a tiller. Don't see why you have to keep your speed up on disc. Wear parts are much cheaper on disc.
Most people tend to over till the garden, make it into powder. A disc works just fine for me.

I've had the king kutter for about 8 years. Been through plenty of rock and never had a problem.
I'd buy another one.

King kutter , Tarter , and County line (TSC's brand) are all the same and they do have a slip clutch and gear drive . Their mowers have shear bolts , no clutch.

thi

we bought a RT 62 bushhog 3pt tiller a month ago for $1875 delivered an hooked to the tractor.personally i wouldnt buy a kk tiller.the tiller is still hooked to the tractor an weve used it aboutb 5hrs an love it.after 2 passes the ground is nice an smooth.

Latest posts