Suggestions needed on IBR, BVD, and Neospora

Help Support CattleToday:

Cormac

Reaction score
I had two abort at approx. 7 months as I posted here. As a follow-up I had bloodwork done. Cow #1, positive for IBR and BVD. Cow # 2 Positive for the same plus positive for Neospora. The vet fells strongly that the #2 cow was defitinely the Neospora. The vet felt that they could have only been exposed to IBR and BVD but who knows. She also gave me the impression that she had more adverse feelings toward the Neospora, or at least gave me the impression that it was a bigger problem. I am developing my unsure direction as to what to do next. Since neospora is passed from mother to calf, I am guessing #2 goes bye-bye. Do both go, one go, or both stay. Do I do bloodwork on the other 8 cows? Is there any practical way to minimise exposure to neospora in the future? I understand it can be from exposure to infected dogs, coyotes, racoons, rats, mice, the water (tanks), hay, and possibly the ground. I'd like some suggestions and guidance. Thanks.

You have a dog problem yours, your neighbors, or yotes. Time to break out a box of 22 mag's and clean house.
Oh by the way you are screwed on the cow she is now a carrier. She won't abort again but will pass it on.

I have come to the same conclusion. I know the Neospora cow is going Bye-bye. I think the same of the other with IBR and BVD as I think that gets passed on as well or can potentially infect others through her feces . How have you or others dealt with neospora? I don't have a dog and never see any around. Is blasting ever four legger (coons, dogs, mice, rats, deer, armadillo, really the answer. I may be shooting the rest of my life.

Cormac":3kuk1msx said:
I have come to the same conclusion. I know the Neospora cow is going Bye-bye. I think the same of the other with IBR and BVD as I think that gets passed on as well or can potentially infect others through her feces . How have you or others dealt with neospora? I don't have a dog and never see any around. Is blasting ever four legger (coons, dogs, mice, rats, deer, armadillo, really the answer. I may be shooting the rest of my life.

Mice can be a problem. We had an outbreak a few years back all of our problems have been traced to dog's.

Caustic, your opinion please, I moved the family(4 dogs included) to the country. We have gotten our herd of three established. The dogs are kenneled at night resulting in generous amounts of poo. Manure is fertilizer so we scoop it up and throw it around the big 5 acre pasture. Are you saying this could be a "trainwreck" we might be losing our calf crop? And possibly endangering the neighbors? remember the dogs are only kept up at night.

dj":22mvuccc said:
Caustic, your opinion please, I moved the family(4 dogs included) to the country. We have gotten our herd of three established. The dogs are kenneled at night resulting in generous amounts of poo. Manure is fertilizer so we scoop it up and throw it around the big 5 acre pasture. Are you saying this could be a "trainwreck" we might be losing our calf crop? And possibly endangering the neighbors? remember the dogs are only kept up at night.

You have got a train wreck coming. If one of those dogs ever consumes the placenta of an infected cow you are off to the races.
Dogs are your host animal. If you have a carrier cow in the neighboring pasture problems will happen.

Did I read correctly that both cows are positive for BVD? If so I would suggest getting rid of them both & purchasing BVD negative animals. On the other situation I'm sorry but I do not have any advice. I would suggest doing a searcg also or checking with your state veterinary offices. Good luck.

Once a dog gets it is it persistently infected?

dj":3qcsu7y4 said:
Once a dog gets it is it persistently infected?

Not the dog but the cow, so the cow calves the dog eats the afterbirth and redeposits it all over your pasture. To stop the cycle you have to find the infected cow and dispose, or keep the dog crap out of the pasture.
Dogs are going to be dogs they are going to get in your neighbors pasture and if he has an infected cow they will bring it home. Your neighbors dogs are going to come visit your dogs and on the way crap in your pasture.
Any dog running this country is a target.