Suggestions for new small acreage owners

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Caldwell County Tx. previously known for farming,ranching and oil is being gobbled up by urban sprawl , the land is being divided into small tracts reducing agriculture operations in the County. The new owners know nothing of conservation and how to manage small acreage. Our local farm organizations (NRCS , Soil Conservation District and others ) are wanting to take a pro-active move to help those people understand what their responsibly is to own land.
The first step is to come up with ideas then hold small meeting with the new landowners to get them involved in the responsibly of land ownership. I know it will be a challenge but we feel we need to make the effort to do something. The target will be 40 acres or less.
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions will be appreciated.

y. The new owners know nothing of conservation and how to manage small acreage. "
What exactly does that mean? What sort of problems are you having?

I personally think it will a losing battle with the landowners because most do not care, but for the ones that do educate them on proper ways to manage their property with proper stocking rates and alternative ways to keep their ag. exemption besides cattle or horses which most overstock causing erosion.
An example is a new landowner we talked with bought 15 acres , of hilly upland covered in mesquite, and flint rock he wants to remove the mesquite and plant a pecan orchard. He was not aware there is no underground water in his area. He thought city sewer came all the out to his property. We are just looking for a way to make a connection and help the people that want to be helped managing their land. Most new landowners are city people who are out of their element and do not know where to go for advice. The idea may not go anywhere but the organization wants to reach out and give assistance to the ones that care.

Pass laws restricting stocking rates, ground cover, odors, eye sores, etc.

The NRCS folks (or volunteers) could do some door knocking. Let the people know that NRCS is available to assist them with whatever they want to do with their proeprty.

Sounds like a good area to start a farmers market and sell those peeps some farm raised meats and produce :cboy:

M-5":1osqsgrz said:
That's what the ascs /county agent is for . if they want help they should ask for it. IMO your acting like the government trying to tell people what they should do with their property.
Who or what is the ASCS county agent?

Trees belong in the woods. Dogs belong in the yard, and city people belong in town.

Our local offices are NRCS, Natural Resources and Conservation Service. The FSA is prety much just the financial wing of the USDA. There is also the Department of Natural Resources but I'm not sure what they do. They don;t seem to have much interaction with people. There is also the Extension Office that works on a lot of different stuff, but that's mostly state/county stuff. Department of conservation deals mostly with things that affect or are affected by wildlife or forest conservation.
I think the idea of contacting land owners would be a good idea since many of them have no idea of what is available to them.

NRCS used to be called Soil Conservation Service (SCS), The Farm Service Agency (FSA) was formerly known as Agricultural Stabilization Conservation Service. Many of our land grant universities have changed titles of their local people from county agents to Extension educators. Their role is the same.

they own it now..mind yer own if they want help they'll ask for it sooner or later

yer not gonna stop the sprawl...40 ac or less people just tell ya to piss off :hide:

cowboy43":2f2hy0wn said:
Caldwell County Tx. ... is being gobbled up by urban sprawl... The new owners know nothing...
We feel we need to make the effort to do something. The target will be 40 acres or less.
Who is we?
Have each of the WE's tell their new neighbors... "We don't take kindly to your kind around here."
Give 'em till sun down to move on, if not let then let the shooting begin, after all it is TEXAS.
Get all the WE's together and pass another law... NO property purchases in the county less than 640 acres, period.
Best of Luck,
Your Welcome :tiphat:

i really wish we could have a 10 ac or above limit to parcels around here like where i lived my last 2 places. no limits here.. they take everything.. put houses in the front.. easements to houses behind them.. divide the rest of the field behind them some more..

everyone wants to be "in the country" yet no one comes outside, no one does anything then mow there grass 3 times a week then its right back inside.. if you want to be right on top of each other.. live in town. useless...worthless...

Some of the worse ideas I have ever heard. Yes urban sprawl is not what most of us look forward to, but the only real suggestion is buy more property yourself or move further out. I have moved farms twice because of starting to close to civilization. The convenience of living within twenty miles of a decent sized city can bite you on the butt. The upside is one of the best crops a person can raise is the land someone wants to develop for houses. If there was a law that said no tax write off for less than 200 head of cattle how many of you could qualify.

Son of Butch":blhgow0c said:
cowboy43":blhgow0c said:
Caldwell County Tx. ... is being gobbled up by urban sprawl... The new owners know nothing...
We feel we need to make the effort to do something. The target will be 40 acres or less.
Who is we?
Have each of the WE's tell their new little neighbors... "We don't take kindly to your kind around here."
Ya let them goat ropers get a foot hold, the next thing ya know they'll be bringing in chickens and sheep.
Give 'em till sun down to move on, if not then let the shooting begin, after all it is TEXAS.

Get all the WE's together and pass another law... NO property purchases in the county less than 640 acres, period.
If a man don't own at least a section of land he ain't worth having, bunch of know nothing worthless bxstxrds.

Dang thought I was editing and ended up double posting, oh well, a man's home is his castle... except for them.
Ya gotta nip it in the bud or the next thing ya know they'll think they can do what they want in their own home.

Best of Luck in your battle of We's vs Them's
Your Welcome :tiphat:

Latest posts