Suggestions for new small acreage owners

Help Support CattleToday:

Unless they want help there's nothing you can do. Let them enjoy their little piece of the country, afterall it is theirs. Growing grass will help it, maybe they'll buy a tractor and keep it mowed or put a few cows on it, shred it if it needs it but it's there's to use as the please.

ehh, shrug.........
They'll hire someone like FenceMan to put up some woven fence, then buy themselves a chicken tractor, bring in a few stinkin goats and put a big sign over their gate "El Rancho Grande" or "Lonesome Dove" or something catchy like that, buy a big ol dually 4wd Texas Edition to haul their chicken scratch in from TSC and otherwise, become pillars of the community.

cowboy43":32eo1si5 said:
I personally think it will a losing battle with the landowners because most do not care, but for the ones that do educate them on proper ways to manage their property with proper stocking rates and alternative ways to keep their ag. exemption besides cattle or horses which most overstock causing erosion.
An example is a new landowner we talked with bought 15 acres , of hilly upland covered in mesquite, and flint rock he wants to remove the mesquite and plant a pecan orchard. He was not aware there is no underground water in his area. He thought city sewer came all the out to his property. We are just looking for a way to make a connection and help the people that want to be helped managing their land. Most new landowners are city people who are out of their element and do not know where to go for advice. The idea may not go anywhere but the organization wants to reach out and give assistance to the ones that care.

Just walk over there and tell 'em you're the Nanny State Nosy Neighbor rep for your area and you want to look over their shoulder 24/7. I know I enjoy that kinda neighbor explaining to me how much smarter they are and how important it is for me to obey their advice.

Some folks have done quite well managing land for other folks around here. It seems like a win - win situation to me. But I guess you need to be smart enough to know that your out of your element and need to seek help.

Grit, not tryin to start a fight but that's the best part of life; learning from your mistakes. Why would you deprive a person from that because he can only afford 15 acres?

It's pretty darn arrogant to assume someone else doesn't have internet access and a basic knowledge of search engines.

I read more stupid crap on here from guys who supposedly know the cattle business...

Johann Sutter was a smart neighbor. Made a fortune selling gold miners food at hyper inflated prices. Didn't tell a single east coast Yank hevwas an idiot to look for gold near Sacramento.

Grit, not tryin to start a fight but that's the best part of life; learning from your mistakes. Why would you deprive a person from that because he can only afford 15 acres?

I was just throwing that out there. I go to the school of hard knocks myself.

greybeard":32v4v2ah said:
ehh, shrug.........
They'll hire someone like FenceMan to put up some woven fence, then buy themselves a chicken tractor, bring in a few stinkin goats and put a big sign over their gate "El Rancho Grande" or "Lonesome Dove" or something catchy like that, buy a big ol dually 4wd Texas Edition to haul their chicken scratch in from TSC and otherwise, become pillars of the community.

We'll be happy to build the chicken coop and goat barn as well. :nod:

callmefence":369x4zwg said:
greybeard":369x4zwg said:
ehh, shrug.........

We'll be happy to build the chicken coop and goat barn as well. :nod:
Well--there ya go..more job opportunity.
The universe provides...

greybeard":2dk92lhy said:
ehh, shrug.........
I scrolled down and stopped here. I think we might be all wrong. I know a little about that country. Them 40's might get bought up by a bunch of good bow hunting barbq cooking good kid raising dudes and Ol Caldwell county might just get a lil better. Y'all get right w them oil company and get your roads right and you might see things looking up.

greybeard":3tw09lb5 said:
ehh, shrug.........

Hit the nail on the head.

Or Scottish Highlands.

Kingfisher":1jd2vy1m said:
greybeard":1jd2vy1m said:
ehh, shrug.........
I scrolled down and stopped here. I think we might be all wrong. I know a little about that country. Them 40's might get bought up by a bunch of good bow hunting barbq cooking good kid raising dudes and Ol Caldwell county might just get a lil better. Y'all get right w them oil company and get your roads right and you might see things looking up.
:nod: :nod:

I've seen people with small acreages make the most of their land whereas someone like me has more than I can handle and things get neglected.

I always laughed at the customer I had near Leavenworth, Ks.
Said first he bought 70 acres of land in the country and bought a few calves.
Then he bought a few cows and raised calves.
Then he planted a crop on it.
Then he seeded it down and raised alfalfa, sold square bales.
Then he just decided he had the most money if he did nothing but mowed it with his bush cutter.
The joys of living in the country. gs

There is an area here where folks buy 80s and 160s for deer hunting. A local smoozer specializes in low cost pasture rent there. There is another area closer to town were folks buy 20s and 40s for building sites. Some opportunity for hay making but they don't usually have water nor want livestock. I have tried to discuss stewardship items like lime and spraying fence lines and adding legumes. An uphill slide. They wanted to debate lease wording or when to haul bales. Their typical motivation for land purchase was not stewardship, but speculation or control or privacy. So need to keep your expectations real.

Latest posts